Chapter 31 "welocome to the family!"

Meredith's Point-of View

"Stop fidgeting," he said as he took my hand and kissed it, everything will be fine."

I let out a miserable moan of protest—to which he laughed at.

I knew that no matter what, I would be in Derek's arms at the end of the day. I knew that everything would be fine. However, I'd changed three times that morning, only to realize I'd be in scrubs anyway. I paced around the hotel room, ignoring the several missed calls from my mother and father. I had no idea what to tell them.

Derek promised to stay low and out of sight until I told them. However, I knew my husband enough to know that he always got what he wanted.

He rubbed his lips over the tops of my fingers and tried to hide his disappointment that I'd taken my beautiful wedding rings off for the day...don't worry, they didn't go far—just safely hiding on a chain around my neck.

"I'm grateful for your enthusiasm, my love," I sighed, "but today is going to be one straight out of the pits of hell."

He laughed and shook his head at my pessimism.

He pulled up to the front entrance of the hospital and I sighed with hesitation. He smiled at me, giving me permission to go...I put my hand on the door handle and started to open it but stopped...what the hell, we're married.

I turned my upper body and placed my hands on his cheeks and pulled him in for a tongue twisting kiss. He stalled a moment as a shit eating grin spread across his face.

"Have a good day at work, Mrs. Shepherd." He chuckled.

"I will try." I giggled and exited the car.

I felt the carefree butterflies Derek always gave me exit my body as I got closer to the surgical floor. My eyes darted every which way once I exited the elevator and headed to the locker room...I was on mommy watch.

"Where have you been?"

I gasped and jumped a little at the voice behind me in the locker room, but breathed a sigh of relief... it was only my best friend.

"Um...what?"

"You've been gone for like a week!" Cristina hissed, "Where have you been?"

I tried my hardest to hide my smile as I slipped into my scrubs.

"If I told you that I ran away to a tropical island and married a man I've only known for three months would you believe me?"

"No!" she scoffed and shook her head adamantly, "Where were you?"

I sighed and rolled my eyes, "I needed some time off."

"So, it had nothing to do with you being all depressed your favorite cancer patient is no longer here?" she asked, "because the rumors are flying around this place!"

"When are they not?" I groaned as I tied my shoes and wondered how much longer I'd be able to reach my feet...I tried to keep the bile from rising as I came to the realization that I just needed to bite the bullet and tell them... "Hey, can you cover for me in rounds for one more day, I need to do something?"

"Why not, Bailey hates you enough as it is."

"I'm sure she does." I murmured, "Just one more day."

"Fine." She muttered, "Your career is on the line."

"You have no idea." I said under my breath as I exited the locker room.

I walked around the nurses' station and ignored the looks. I turned down the glass lined hallways towards an office I knew all too well. I stopped in front of a familiar wood door and raised my hand to knock on it when it flew open. I was suddenly faced with the ferocious blue eyes of my mother.

"Where the hell have you been!" she growled as she grabbed my arm and shoved me into the door, I winced, "Do you have any idea what you've done to your career!"

"Ow!" I hissed as her grip tightened on my arm, "I needed some time off."

"Surgeons don't get time off!" she hissed "Give me a good reason why I shouldn't fire you right now."

"Ellis!" My dad called out from behind his desk.

My mother glared at me for an answer... my mouth propped opened, and I stuttered.

"I...I...I got married."

Mom's nostrils flared "LIAR!" she screamed.

"Mom!" I whimpered as her body weight shoved into me, "You're hurting me!"

She hissed... just as a large pale hand came from the right of us in the open door and took hold of her wrist. The other hand plucked her fingers slowly from my wrist. We both relaxed as we looked up at Derek in surprise. His face was firm as he pulled my mother off me.

"Derek?" she stuttered.

"Although, I appreciate that you are her mother." He said firmly, "I won't allow you to put your hands so forcefully on my pregnant wife."

My ears rang by the sharp gasp that came from her mouth. Her eyes grew ten times in size, and she stumbled back with a horrified look on her face.

"Meredith!" she shrieked, "Tell me this isn't true."

I glanced up at Derek, deciding whether I wanted to hug him or kill him. He gave me a look of reassurance. I knew he wasn't going to leave until I was safe. I let out a sigh of defeat. Despite him always getting his way, usually it did work out. I pulled the chain from around my neck and unfastened it, slipping my wedding rings back on and facing my mother.

"It's true."

I watched my dad walk out in surprise. My mother was frozen in shock. Dad put his hand on mom's shoulder, and she looked up at him with tears welling in her eyes. He gave her half a smile.

"Derek Shepherd is our son in-law." Dad finally said to mom, "and the father of our grandchild..." he sighed a little harsher than I liked but whatever, this was shocking news, "She could've done a lot worse."

I stood there and decided whether or not I would let that comment offend me as mom looked up and I braced myself for a loud screaming match, a swing or a blow. Something, anything...she took a step towards me and wrapped her arms around me, something that felt so foreign and—hugged me.

"Congratulations." She whispered with a shaky voice, "I'm happy for you."

What...seriously!?

I saw out of the corner of my eye dad reached out and shook Derek's hand.

"Welcome to the family son."

If this is a dream, someone pinch me. Derek and I made a brief moment of eye contact to which he flashed me the smuggest of looks that said, 'I told you so' I glared. He would get it later...

I'm sure he was counting on it. Horny bastard.