4: Test sheets also have a great sense of humor

“The formula is…”

‘Boring, boring, boring.’

Welcome to my worst class with my worst teacher – AP Calculus.

With the way things were going, I wouldn't be surprised if today turned out worse than yesterday. And that's saying a lot after the events of yesterday.

After my friends left, I couldn't stop thinking about Jason’s words. Convincing myself that it was harmless, I decided to browse on love. No surprise, I couldn't relate to any of the signs of being in love. 

So, I decided to choose the next best option – what happens when someone doesn't find love?

Believe me, you don't want to see what I saw –  loneliness, feelings of dissatisfaction and many more, each one worse than the last.

I know, it's horrible.

But then I tried consoling myself with the thought that I was just 17. I mean, seriously, how many teenagers found love? It's mostly just silly crushes, but love? Yeah, right.

Cut to me reading a bazillion real life teenage love stories online. Apparently, it's easier for teenagers to fall in love because they had less inhibitions about love – whatever that meant. And yet, I hadn't fallen in love.

What if I never fell in love? I always thought I had everything I could possibly want. But now?

Thankfully, I was snapped out of my thoughts by the vibration of my phone. Sliding it open, I was welcomed by a message from Beck who was sitting right behind me. She didn't want to sit beside me because then, she'd have to sit next to a moony-eyed Dan Hugh.

Beck: ‘sup? You're trying a lot longer than usual today. I pulled out my phone the moment Mrs. M started teaching, but it's been fifteen minutes and you're still listening to her?

She was right. I'd been so caught up thinking about ‘that thing,’ that I didn't even have to use my phone as a distraction for Mrs. Murphy's boring Calculus class. 

Now though, my lips twisted in a smile as I worked on a reply.

Me: Just decided to take my education seriously.

Beck: Yeah, right. So, am I the only one who thinks Mrs. Murphy looks hot today?

Me: Hot? Please tell me you're doing that thing where you say the opposite of what you mean.

Beck: Nah, I actually mean it this time. I think she has like three sweaters on, so I'm certain she's oozing hotness...inside her pits.

Beck was just something else. I didn't realize my lips had betrayed a small laugh until I heard ‘her.’

“Miss Allen, seeing how you're laughing, it looks to me like you find something to be more interesting than this class.”

Great! Besides killing my fun, she's killing my laughter too. One more reason to the millions of reasons why I hated this class.

I donned a smile, matching the forced one she had on. “Well, Mrs. M, I think you'd agree with me that not just something, but basically everything is more interesting than this class.”

A round of chuckles passed through the class, but soon faded in the face of Mrs. Murphy's piercing stares. No kidding, her stares were pretty terrifying.

Though I could practically hear her teeth grinding in anger, she forced out a chuckle. “Well, it's understandable that you find everything to be more interesting than this; it shows you appreciate humor. You know, test sheets also have a great sense of humor.”