9: You must really like him

Nervousness is something I wasn't accustomed to; that jittery feeling and I were miles apart. But today, as I pulled into the parking lot, I could have sworn that I felt just the slightest dose of it. 

And it may have increased from being just a little when I spotted Hawk, with his features giving way to an unsure smile when he caught sight of me.

Scattered around him were students who were ‘totally not interested’ in watching the drama which they hoped would unfold. Lucky for them, I had an A-grade in drama queen classes.

So, slipping on a smile, I stepped out of my car and strutted towards where Hawk was standing awkwardly.

“Hey, you,” I chirped, the smile still on my lips as my arms moved to wrap around his freakishly thin neck. No kidding, given his lanky frame, it’s pretty much a miracle that he even had any flesh on him.

Now though, he managed a small smile of his own as he said, “hey.”

From the corner of my eye, I could make out the small crowd which was beginning to form in the parking lot.

Could the students at this school be any more obvious? I mean, they were practically gawking at us.

But since they wanted a show, I guessed I'd have to give them one.

So, I gave Hawk a kiss. And by ‘a kiss,’ I meant a slight brush of my lips against his. But for the students here who were eager to pick up on every detail, that was a big deal – and their excited chatters proved it. Some of them even clicked pictures.

To Hawk though, I whispered: “just follow my lead.” I disentangled my arms from around his neck and reached for his hand, locking it with mine.

“SpongeBob, are you nervous?” I teased, even though inside, I was also experiencing a tinge of what he was going through.

His reply however, came as a titter and a rushed addition of: “no. Definitely not...not nervous,” If his shaky tittering didn't betray that he was a bundle of nerves, then the way his hand subconsciously tightened around mine, definitely gave it away.

Not like I blamed him though. Being under public scrutiny could be pretty intimidating – even for a witty geek like Hawk. Hence, I decided to try easing my ‘dear’ boyfriend of his nerves.

“So,” I started lightly. “I see you decided to lose the cartoon characters and go for the Reverend look.”

“The Reverend look?” He echoed, looking truly puzzled.

I gestured to his blue stripe shirt which was buttoned to the very top. And he must have gotten my meaning, because now, he was chortling.

“Hey, you told me to dress my best,” he mused in reference to the text I sent him last night.

I found myself chortling too – the sound slipping naturally from my lips. “The fact that this is your definition of best, is really kind of sad.” 

But his reply was a chuckle, an exaggerated sweetness in his voice when he said, “gee, Brooke, thanks for the compliment.”

“Oh, you can thank me later, cheesecake.” I threw him a wink before turning my attention to the students around us.

“Hey, people. So, the show's not over yet; anyone wants a pic with the new couple, or maybe an autograph?”

When they did nothing but stare shifty-eyed back at me, a small smirk formed on my lips. “Yeah, I thought so. So, quit staring like idiots and go do whatever the hell you do with your little lives. Go on, run along, chop chop.”