15: I'm really good at stifling yawns

“One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.”

I stopped to draw out a breath, eyes landing on the dark-haired girl in front of me. “Cara, you should try relaxing a bit. You’re being overly focused on getting the steps right, and it’s making your movements seem robotic. So just try and relax, okay? It’ll make your performance come off more naturally.”

The girl in question gave a nod in response. “Ok. I’ll work on it.”

I betrayed a small smile at that. That was Cara for you – always eager to accept any guidance that’d help her give her best. And that was precisely why I considered her to be a key member to the team.

Now, though, I shifted my attention from her, face twisting in a mock glare  as my eyes landed on that bright blonde hair. “Sunny, if you try sneaking another twerk into the routine again, I promise I'll prick your ass with a pen.”

Her reply was a chuckle, and a small addition of: “sorry.”

Sunny and her playfulness. Thankfully, I managed to resist the urge to chortle at her antics, my eyes now moving to the girl beside her.

“And Lexi, stop turning to watch what the others are doing. It makes you distracted, and you eventually mess up the steps.”

“I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to,” came the shaky reply.

And sure enough, she was already teary-eyed. I couldn’t even say I was surprised – I mean, it was Lexi after all. It’s not like she didn’t perform well on the team, it’s just that she could be overly emotional. No kidding, the girl was practically a life sized watermelon.

Sometimes, when she did some frustrating things that’d leave me wanting to scream my head at her, I’d rather settle for using the patience of a nun to calmly explain things to her. Trust me, you wouldn't want to have to deal with one of her crying sessions which could last for as long as twenty minutes.

And don't even consider yelling at her to shut up; that only seemed to make her cry more. And yeah, I was speaking from experience.

So, before she got into a full blown crying session, I was quick to add, “I mean, your rhythm is great so far. You just need to match your steps correctly, okay?”

That seemed to appease her, because she nodded between sniffles.

“Ok, girls, we’ll take five,” I announced with a small clap of my hand. “When we come back, we're going to combine these steps with the ones we learnt before, and then perfect it, ok?”

“Ok,” they chorused. What followed was bustling chatters as the girls dispersed to go refresh themselves.

I also went over to my bag to grab my water bottle, proceeding to almost empty the contents in my mouth soon after.

Cheer practice could be super exhausting, but at the same time, fun. I really enjoyed cheerleading, and I was quite good at it. 

Ok, screw the humility – I totally rocked at it. So, it didn't come as much of a surprise when I was chosen as the team’s captain, with Shay as co-captain. 

Now though, I pulled out my phone, sliding it open to reveal two new messages from Hawk. One was a sticker of a pouty face, and the other read: ‘I give up.’

I couldn’t help but chuckle. Hawk really wasn't lying about that whole fourteen more videos thing. He did send them – each one more emotional than the preceding one, and Hawk more hopeful. But still, no tears.

My hands worked on the screen now, a soft grin spreading across my lips.

Me: Awww, don't be too disappointed. I did give you a heads up.