60: Dancing to a different kind of rhythm

‘We got that’

“Hood love,” we sang along, voices loud.

We got that’

“Good love.”

‘We got that’

“Hot love…”

‘Make me make…’

“Boy you make me make bad decisions,” I sang, all the while grinding on Sunny behind me.

In response, she placed her hands on my waist, giving a dramatic cry of: “Lord, save me from temptation.”

That earned a laugh from me – one which was soon echoed by Shay and Beck who were also dancing themselves, albeit separately though.

Needless to say, everyone was in high spirits. After all, tonight was the much anticipated prom.

“Oh my god, I just put eyeshadow on my forehead,” Shay mused, staring horrified at the mirror. She had been so lost in singing and dancing as she did her makeup, that she didn't realize when she’d splattered a brush full of eyeshadow on her forehead. And of course now that she had though, the rest of us showed our support by…well, bubbling with mirth. 

“Haha,” she mimicked, fixing us with a playful glare. However, a second later, she was also joining in laughing at herself. 

We stayed like that for a while, until a voice at the doorway came drawing our attention. And now, we were all turning to face the new entry to the room, whose face was beaming as she stared at us. 

“Look at my girls; looking all beautiful, and ready to go have one of the most unforgettable nights of their lives,” Carla cooed. Just when my lips were in the middle of moving in a smile, she had to add, “I remember how you used to cry with snot-filled noses and…”

“Okay, Carla,” Beck cut in with a titter. “Maybe we shouldn't revisit those reputation ruining times right now.”

The rest of us were just as quick to echo our agreement. 

“Yeah, we shouldn’t.”

“Like, no.”

“Definitely not.”

Carla, on her part, broke into a string of chortles at that. “Hey, that's what I'm here for – to bring back all the reputation ruining times,” she chirped, beaming with mischief – much to our amusement.

Now though, her features betrayed a nostalgic smile as she said, “you know, seeing you girls just makes me think of my prom night.”

“What was it like?” Sunny asked, eyes gleaming in interest. And I found myself interested as well, leaving me staring at Carla in anticipation, alongside the rest of my friends. 

“Well, for one thing, I was so nervous that night, because I totally sucked at dancing.”

“No way,” Shay said, chuckling.

“Oh, it’s true,” Carla affirmed, chuckling a little herself. “I was really horrible at it. And the boy I was going with, was my crush for like the longest time, and he was perfect, you know.” Maybe it was because of the way she smiled as she said that, but I found a small smile perch on my lips too as I listened to her.

“So, I tried taking a few dance classes, but I was hopeless. And then, when that night came, I was scared as hell that I was going to screw up in front of my date. I even had this whole plan about not dancing at all through the night.” She stopped to chuckle before going on.