24: This man could scare the pants out of a rock

***Hawk***

.

.

.

.

.
“So, all you had to do was say a bunch of nerdy stuff? Although it’s Ria, so I can’t say I’m really surprised that it’d take nerdy talk to impress her.”

In the face of my playful glare, she raised her hand in mock surrender, chuckling softly. “Ok, sorry.”

Despite myself, I betrayed a small chuckle as well. 

“I was just teasing you. I think it’s great that you're making progress with Ria,” she added, smiling at me in a way that showed she was being sincere.

I, however, tried to play it cool, saying, “yeah, I guess.” But my insides were practically doing a victory dance while screaming: ‘yeah, I really am! Can you believe it?’

Exhausted from our little water fight from earlier, I'd stepped out. And now, I was sitting beside the pool, my toe casually tracing circles on the surface, with Brooke making lazy motions in the water.

“What's up with Jason by the way? You were saying something about leaving him in the parking lot,” I piped up, breaking the comfortable silence we'd wrapped ourselves in, and making Brooke stop from mindlessly tracing the water on her skin.

“I told you, it was weird.”

She did mention that it was weird earlier. But that begged one question. “And care to tell me why it was weird?” 

She, however, looked like she'd much rather prefer talking about growing grass than about this. 

“Well,” she started – pretty unsurely if I might add. “You know what? Just forget it.” She gave a dismissive wave of hand. “It's silly. We don't have to talk about it.”

“You know, someone once told me that one of the best ways to solve a problem is to talk through it,” I quipped. 

She chuckled at that. “Well, that someone sounds smart.”

“You bet.”

“And awesome too,” she added, a sly grin playing on her lips.

“Well,” I drawled, pretending to think it over.

She, however, simply gave me a face full of pool water in reply, making us laugh.

A moment later, she was saying, “ok, here's the thing: he’s someone who is comfortable talking about some stuff, and I'm the kind of person who isn't the most comfortable talking about those stuff. So, when I can't talk about that stuff, we won't be able to talk about other stuff because it gets weird after.”

I nodded even though I didn't understand what that meant.

“You didn't understand any of that, did you?” She asked, fixing me a knowing grin.

My reply came as an exaggerated: “what? Why would you even think that?”

But in the face of her cocked brow, I caved in. “Ok, yeah, I didn’t,” I admitted. “All I got was ‘stuff.’”

“Just shut it,” she chirped, leaving us chortling. “Well, it’s just, how do I say this? He isn't scared to put his heart out there and say whatever, and I'm not ready to do that. And I guess that makes our conversations seem pretty one sided sometimes,” she explained with a seemingly casual shrug.