55: Because you're my BFF, bitch

“B,” Shay called, half running towards me, her breathing uneven. “Shit, are you okay? What happened? And wait…” She stopped to give me a once over. “Why do you look hot as hell in that outfit?”

“I know, right?” I beamed, doing a dramatic little spin, with her letting out a low whistle. 

“I think I just had an ‘eyegasm’ right now” she sallied, leaving us chortling.

“Oh right,” she piped up in the decline of our mirth. “You sent me an SOS text to meet you here. And…” Sizing in on the small smile that played across my lips, she was now eyeing me suspiciously. “What are you up to? Please don’t tell me this is another birthday prank like the one you and Kent pulled when we were eleven – because I still get nightmares about that.” She finished with a visible shudder, while I just chortled.

“That was a pretty great prank though,” I remarked blithely. But in the face of her playful glare, I was making a hurried addition of: “but that’s not what this is. I mean, do you really think I would do that to you again?”

In response, she cocked a knowing brow at me, leaving me tittering. “Ok, don’t answer that. But trust me, this is something entirely different. You’ll see.” 

She seemed unsure, but still let me lead her away, a curious smile perched on her lips all the while. However, it was soon giving way to a small gasp when we arrived at the field, only to be welcomed by the unified echoes of: “happy birthday!”

Yeah, the entire place was filled with our schoolmates, all of them beaming at the birthday girl – who for the record, was now beaming at me.

“B, you arranged this?”

“Well, sort of.”

Not like she heard me though; she was already swooping me in for a hug. “That’s so sweet,” she gushed, voce laced with emotion.

“Are you crying?” I teased.

“Hey, you know I'm a sucker for multiple birthday wishes,” came the response, the both of us giggling at the truthfulness of that. “But why did you get everyone to come all the way here?” She gestured around the soccer field as she spoke.

“Well, let’s just say everyone is here to watch the match.”

“The match?” She echoed. And upon my affirmation, her features were moving in confusion. “But B, there’s no match today.”

“Actually, there is – or well, there will be. And I have a feeling it’s going to be a pretty interesting one as well. The players are ready.” 

I gestured towards Cara, Janet, Mary, Tiana and some other girls from the soccer team, all of whom were now in their jerseys – albeit not their usual school team jerseys this time. Some of them were in blue jerseys, and others in red.

“And of course, we also have our special players.”

I didn’t miss the way her eyes widened a little as she sized in on who I was referring to – some girls from the cheer team and…

“Beck and Sunny?” She questioned, her disbelief clear. “When did they join the soccer team?”

But my reply came as an oh-so-casual: “just recently.”

“Brooke,” she started, wearing her ‘what are you up to’ face. But I just smiled and went on.

“And what’s the deal with soccer games not having cheer routines? Which is why we have a very special set of cheerleaders today.”