30: Dancing with my imaginary girlfriend

"That's it, SpongeBob! I can't take this anymore," I declared in an exasperated breath.

"Fine," he answered coolly, surprising me.

"Really?" I asked, staring unsurely at him. 

He, however, simply nodded, adding an oh-so-innocent: "I guess we should get back to working on our calculus assignment."

This mischievous SpongeBob. I saw what he was doing – using my absolute dislike for calculus against me. And guess what? He succeeded.

"What?" I questioned, tittering softly. "Why would you say that? I'm enjoying this movie so much, I don't want to pull my eyes away even for a second."

He feigned surprise at that. "Oh, really? Because I was pretty sure I heard you saying you couldn't take any more of the movie."

"Nope, never even thought of it," I chirped, leaving him chortling. And despite myself, I couldn't help joining in.

"But seriously though," I started after the throaty sounds died down. "What's up with this movie? Why does everyone start singing every two minutes?"

He pretended to consider it before saying, "I don't know. Because it's not like I have any idea why they keep singing in a musical."

I shot him a playful glare in response, causing him to raise his hands in mock surrender. Satisfied, I proceeded to say, "I don't get why musicals make it seem like singing and dancing with someone is super romantic or something."

"I guess it depends on the kind of dance though. I don't think there's anything romantic about doing the Toosie Slide with someone," he offered lightly. 

"True. Or the Hawk Duck," I chimed, feeling my lips curl in a sly grin.

"You'll never let me live that down, would you?" 

"Nope," I answered simply, to which he chuckled. 

"Fine, that too," he remarked. "But the point is that music makes people feel things, and dancing is a way of expressing those things. There's a rhythm to it that has the power to connect people. That's probably why married couples smile so much on their first dance. They just glide along to the rhythm, letting it connect their souls."

"Wow! That's pretty deep," I said between chortles.

"Yeah, it kind of is," he admitted with a small laugh.

"But you're right. I guess that's why people like love songs so much."

"You don't?"

"No," I answered matter-of-factly. "They always exaggerate stuff, and they have the cheesiest of lines."

He gave an exaggerated gasp at that. "You did not just say that. Love songs are like everyone's secret guilty pleasure. You just can't help liking them in all their cheesiness.

And besides, they're great to listen to when you're thinking about your non-existent love life. Not like I do that though, because that'd be weird." He did that tittering between every word thing as he said the last part, looking anywhere but at me.

"You do that, don't you?" I asked, throwing him a knowing smile.

"Me?" He started, chuckling as though I said the most ridiculous thing on earth.

"I...well...ok, yeah, once a week, or maybe twice."

The laugh that escaped my lips couldn't be helped. Hawk was just something else.

"Well, I think that's cute."

His response however, came as a huff. But it wasn't long before his lips betrayed him in a laugh as well.