36: I have that unforgettable effect on guys

Goodbye, weird trash can.

Goodbye, faded, black pole.

Goodbye, Newspaper man with the creepy smile.

Goodbye, Black Bean.

Ok, maybe Black Bean didn't need a goodbye. I loved their coffee, and I sure as hell would be stopping by there again.

Besides, now that I thought about it, I would also still take this road to school everyday. So, this definitely wouldn't be the last I'd be seeing of weird trash can, faded black pole, and yeah, Newspaper man with the creepy smile.

Still, that didn’t change the fact that this would be the last time I'd stop here for a particular gray-eyed boy to run over from his usual waiting position beside Black Bean; the last time Hawk Gary Moose and I would ever ride to school together; the last time we'd ever be together.

Alright, that last part was just me being overly dramatic.

Now, however, I watched as he jogged over, hands placed on his bag straps. And I felt myself smile a little at the sight.

Trust Hawk to wear the two straps of his bag.

I remembered teasing him about it once, and the chortle that followed from his end. And of course, his eventual reply stating the health importance of wearing two bag straps, and not just one slung casually on the shoulder.

Only Hawk would want to talk about the health importance of bag straps. He could be such a nerd – that SpongeBob.

My thoughts were soon returned to the present when Hawk slid in the car, facing me with a goofy grin. “Hey, girlfriend.”

Was it just me or did he always look really cute with goofy grins – or any grins actually.

Wait, what am I even saying? Stop being weird, Brooke.

My mental chiding seemed to have worked, because a small chuckle escaped my lips now. “Hey, ex-boyfriend-to-be.”

He simply chortled in response.

“So, guess what,” I started, feeling my lips curl into a small smile.

“You finally decided to binge watch Lord of the Rings?” He asked, a hopeful glint in his eyes.

“Of course not,” I answered, leaving him to declare that he still wasn’t going to give up on getting me to do so. And I couldn't help but betray a little laugh at his antics.

Now though, I was saying, “I got you something.”

“Really? What?”

I reached over to grab something from the back of the car, only to thrust it in his hands soon after.

He stared from me, to the blue bag in his hands. “What is it?” He asked, an unsure smile perched on the corners of his lips.

“Just a little breakup gift. Now, go on, open it.”

And he did – eyes widening in recognition soon after.

“This is…” He trailed off, features morphing into a pleasantly surprised grin. “Thank you,” he added, tone sincere. “Although I thought you’re a leather jacket hater?”

“Well, maybe. But it doesn’t matter – I just can’t stop you from getting your bad boy on. And besides, it's the least I can do after all you've done for me. You know, you might be a weirdo sometimes, but you're an awesome fake boyfriend, SpongeBob – better than most of the real boyfriends I’ve had actually. And you’re a great friend as well. You’ve made these crazy past few weeks really fun. So, thank you.”