32: Holy shit, I'm crying!

After a string of conversations that basically went like: ‘Mom; Sweetie.’ Then: ‘Mom; My baby,’ followed by loads of hugs, and of course, the occasional smothering kisses from my mom, I finally stopped to say, “wow, I still can't believe you’re here! I thought you said you had an important church event you can’t miss?”

“Yes, honey” she answered, clearing strands of hair from my face in the way she liked to do. “But then I received a message from Hawk. He was able to get in touch with me through my contact information on the church's webpage.”

The church's webpage? How did he even know the church my mum worked with?

Although, now that I thought about it, I did mention it once in passing conversation. I didn't think he'd remember that small detail though. But knowing he didn't forget, but remembered long enough to use it in contacting my mom, was strangely heartwarming.

“At first, I didn't know who he was, but he introduced himself as your friend. He told me just how important my coming meant to you, and how disappointed you were after seeing that message I sent you.”

“He did?” I echoed, my lips moving in a small smile as I stared over at Hawk who was standing a good distance away from us.

“I felt so bad about hurting you like that. And don't think I ever forgot that promise we made when you were eight. I guess I just let myself get caught up in work and everything else. But Hawk helped me realize what's really important,” she finished with a warm smile which I couldn't help mirroring.

“So, what about the event?”

She gave a dismissive wave of hand in reply. “There are others who can handle it. The church is God's manifestation, it's not a one-man job. His spirit is surely at work in many more capable individuals. So, I can get some weeks off to spend with my daughter without any worries.”

I chuckled softly at that. It still felt strange to hear my mom talk like this – all churchy. And that was probably why it took a second longer than usual for me to process the rest of her words. But when I finally did, my features instantly lit up in a grin. 

“You'll be here for a few weeks?”

She nodded, looking almost as excited as me. “Mom, that's awesome,” I half squealed, pulling her into another hug.

“Yes, honey. Thanks to Hawk, I was reminded of how much I've not been able to spend time with you. I have to tell you, that boy really is something,” she said, chuckling softly – that pleased kind. 

“My flight got delayed. And when I did finally arrive here, you should have seen the traffic – it was horrible. I was practically stuck in traffic for almost two hours, and I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't be able to make it before your birthday was over.

But thankfully, Hawk and I were keeping in touch all the while, so I told him about it, and he came to get me. It’s amazing how he maneuvered his way through the traffic – going this way and that, just so we could make it in time. And we did. Although, I was this close to a heart attack through the ride.”

She held two fingers up to illustrate just how close she was to a heart attack, with the both of them barely an inch from touching each other. And I couldn’t help from chortling at that. Hawk’s driving under normal circumstances was insane, so I could pretty much envision how much more it’d be when he was in a rush.

A little later and I was excusing myself from my mom, and going over to the mastermind behind all of this.

“So,” I started with a chirpy grin.