29: What was happening in this family?

“Hey, Sardines.”

Tracing the cheery voice, I found myself staring at a woman who seemed to be auditioning for a rock and roll movie from the early 2000’s. The red streaks in her light brown hair perfectly matched the shade of her lipstick, with her black top adorned in a big lettered writing that read: ‘funk it up bitches.’

A closer look at her face, though, revealed strikingly similar features to Dove’s. Her pouty lips, however, were definitely similar to Hawk's.

The man who stood beside her, had a similar aura to hers. The first thing I noticed about him though, was that he was really huge. No kidding, he made the woman look like a kid despite her being around the same height as me – 5’8.

His hair was a matching shade of brown as Hawk’s. But unlike Hawk’s which was in a low cut, his was long, and knotted in a ponytail. He wore a black, sleeveless, shirt which I feared was a size too small, given how it seemed like it could rip off his body at any second. Both his arms were covered in different tattoos – all of them ranging in sizes. But the most prominent to me, however, was the one on his upper right arm – a large bird.

Now though, both he and the woman broke into face splitting grins when their eyes fell on Hawk and Dove.

I watched, amused, as the man who I'd concluded was Hawk’s dad, pulled Hawk and Dove into his arms as though they weighed nothing.

“Damn, I’ve missed my chipmunks,” he said, kissing the top of their foreheads.

His chipmunks? It took a lot for me to hold back from laughing. Seriously, what was with the nicknames in this family? First Sardines, and now Chipmunks?

From the looks of it, Hawk and Dove weren’t the most thrilled about their nicknames – and honestly, about any of this.

“Hey, dad,” they chorused, looking like they'd much rather be counting grains of rice than in their current position. But it was Hawk that pointed out: “please stop acting like we’ve been apart for years. You just saw us this morning.”

But it was the woman – well, their mom, who answered, “I know, right? So many hours away from my Sardines. Now, who wants a mommy smoochy time?”

“I’m fine.”

“Not me.”

Not like their mom heard them. She was already grabbing the both of them, proceeding to smother their faces in kisses.

Hawk looked like he’d rather be sucked into the ground, and Dove looked like she’d rather be a servant to a wolf pack than be here. But she didn’t let them go until she was done with her mummy smoochy time.

And as I watched them, I couldn’t help laughing inwardly. Hawk was sure going to suffer at my hands for the next few weeks.

But right now, I had a bit of a situation myself. And by that, I meant Hawk’s dad finally taking note of the other person in the room, causing him to break into a small smile as he said, “hey.”

Suddenly conscious of the fact that his attention was on me, and that Hawk’s mom’s attention was now on me as well, I found myself feeling a tinge of nervousness, barely managing a small: “hello.”

“Oh, hello, Milkshake,” Hawk’s mom greeted cheerily.

Yay, I got a nickname too.

“Are you a friend of Dove’s?” She added, but before I could give a reply, another voice beat me to it.

“Forbidden Fruit, of course she must be a friend of Dove,” Hawk's dad mused.

“Well, Monster Truck,” she started, completely oblivious to the battle I was having against myself in order to keep from laughing.