7: god forbid we actually make eye contact

“Hawk, you can stop making that weird face now.” 

If he heard me, he definitely didn't show it; he was still doing that rapid blinking, half-open lips thing he’s had going on for a while.

And by a while, I meant since I pulled him away from the hallway a few minutes ago, dozens of eyes following us out. Now, though, we were in the music room, but nothing’s changed – as was clear from his facial expression.

This time, my voice came out in more of a screech when I said, “Hawk!”

That finally seemed to do the trick. “Jesus, Brooke! You could make a person go deaf.”

“Trust me, SpongeBob, you've been deaf for a while now,” I remarked matter-of-factly.

“I just can’t believe that happened; that you happened; that we happened; that all those people happened to see that happen. It’s all so...you get what I mean, right?”

I feigned thoughtfulness before shaking my head in the negative. “Nah, I'm pretty sure all I heard was ‘happen.’”

That earned a chuckle from him. “But seriously though,” he mused when the throaty sounds died down. “I was just really surprised with the whole asking me to date you thing. And then there was the...you know what.” 

If his pink tinted face didn’t give it away, then the way he rushed the last three words definitely made me aware of what he was referring to. And now that I had, I couldn't help the sly grin that tugged at my lips.

“You mean the kiss? That was a pretty dramatic effect though. But it's no big deal. I mean, it's not like it was your first kiss or something.” I finished with a chortle, with Hawk echoing the sound from beside me, albeit a bit nervously.

Wait a minute…

“SpongeBob,” I started, unable to contain the excited rush in my voice. “Was that your first kiss?”

“What?” He cried in response, fixing me with a look that seemed to suggest that I said the most silly thing in the world. “No, of course not.” I don't know how, but he managed to chuckle between every word. “I mean, I've kissed you know, people.”

People? I had to struggle to bite back a giggle.

Though I had a feeling he might be lying, I chose to not comment on it for fear that he might grow redder than he already was. And I doubted that was possible considering how red he was now. So, in the end, I settled for a small response of: “oh, I see” 

A little later though and he was eyeing me curiously. “So, what made you change your mind?”

I shrugged in reply. “Actually, I was just in the bathroom and then I thought: jeez, how could I turn down an offer to date Hawk? That's so stupid of me. So, here I am.”

“Sounds like a good enough reason to me,” he remarked lightly, leaving me to betray a smile.

“So,” I chirped, softly clapping my hands. “How is this going to work? Do I get like a love handbook or something?”

“Love handbook? Where’d you get that from?” He asked between chortles.

“Hey, you can't blame me,” I retorted, chuckling a little myself. “I don't do something like this on the regular, you know.”

“True,” he admitted, lips moving in a small smile. “Well, I’d have to draft a lesson plan for it though. I’ll give it to you when I have, and we can start from there.”

I could only nod, trying to deceive myself into thinking that it wasn’t weird at all that my love life needed to be drafted out.

However, my thoughts were soon returned to Hawk who was now saying, “but before then, I think we’ll both need to agree on some rules on how this is going to work.” He used his hand to gesture to us in an attempt to emphasize his point.