58: You're even more clingy than a monkey

“Hey, that isn’t true. You screamed first,” I protested, the both of us bubbling with mirth as we reminisced about our first rollercoaster ride together.

“I only did it because I knew you wanted to scream. If anything, I was just trying to help you.”

“Yeah, right. And what about when you were holding my hand so tightly that you almost cut off my blood circulation? Was that also part of helping me?”

“Of course it was. I held your hand to calm you down, ‘cause you were screaming like a newly possessed witch.”

That earned him a light punch on the arm, leaving him chuckling. And after satisfying myself with being all killer eyes on him, I couldn’t help chuckling a little too.

In the decline of the throaty sounds though, we fell into a moment of comfortable silence. Until…

“Can you believe some people think you and I are like a thing?”

Although I mostly had Sunny in mind when I’d asked that, it was true that before her, I’ve had a number of people admit to thinking Kent and I were together. Like that cheerleader from another school who’d wanted to know whether ‘Kent and I were still together’ and if I was okay with her asking him out. Yeah, that was an awkward experience. 

Now though, I watched as Kent’s face scrunched in mock horror at my question. “Eew, why, who, how? Why would anyone even think that?”

“I know, right? It’s so weird. Like why would I want to be with you? Boys are gross,” I chimed, my voice mimicking my younger self at the last part.

Kent did the same as well when he said, “and girls have cooties.”

After a few moments more of being ‘disgusted’ at each other, we broke out laughing – the kind that left you feeling light inside.  

“But let’s be real though, the only reason some people think we’re together, is because of how clear it is that you can't live without me,” I mused, lips twitching in mischief. 

Kent though, pretended to think it over, only to say, “no, it can't be that. Because everyone knows how I’ve been trying hard all this time to ship you off to some remote island.”

 “Shut up,” I retorted, chuckling despite myself – something he soon joined in.

However, a moment later, his voice sliced through yet again, but without its earlier lightness this time. “In a way, I can’t say I’m surprised some might assume that. A guy and a girl who’ve known each other for a long time, and are really close too? Oh well, surely they must be dating, or harboring some kind of secret love. But the thing is, not all relationships have to be based on romantic love.

Take us for example. To me, you’re what I imagine that crazy, annoying but still lovable sibling to be. There’s more than one way to love someone.”

For some reason, I couldn’t keep from going over those seemingly simple words of his: ‘there’s more than one way to love someone.’ 

Something about it just resonated with me in a way I couldn’t quite explain.

However, I chose to push those thoughts to the back of my mind for now. Instead, I let my lips upturn in a sly grin, saying, “so, you’re admitting you love me?” 

Sure enough, his answer came as a scoff, followed by: “of course not.” 

“Come on, admit it, you know you do,” I teased, nudging him lightly.