16: The third wheel on a cute date

I stared at the man on the bed, trying to link him to the grandpa that Jason had described earlier. But honestly, it was pretty hard.

Even in hospital clothes, he somehow managed to pull off the outfit with so much style, that one would think it was designer clothes. 

However, his face betrayed a pale shade which could be easily missed when he laughed – and that was precisely what he was doing now as he watched the small TV hung on his room's wall.

From what Jason told me on our way here, he was seventy-six. But watching him now, as he laughed at something that was said on the screen, he could easily pass for a man of sixty.

At the clicking of the door shut, his eyes turned away from the TV screen, moving to stare at us instead, causing a broad smile to instantly light up his features.

“Jason,” he cried, his excitement at seeing his new visitor clear.

“Hey JJ,” Jason greeted with a smile of his own. On our way here, I remember him saying that his grandpa found the term ‘grandpa’ to be too old-fashioned. And so, preferred being called ‘JJ’ instead – an acronym for his first and middle name.

Now, his eyes were shining with a mischievous glint as he said, “I thought you've forgotten all about your old, little helpless grandpa.”

Jason chuckled. “Oh, come on, we both know you're anything but helpless. If anything, I'm sure you've rendered the doctors and nurses helpless with all your antics.”

“You know me too well,” came the chirpy reply, leaving them to share a hearty laugh. I, however, could only stare awkwardly from my position near the door.

To be honest, when I suggested going to meet Jason's grandpa, I’d pictured a weak old man lying on the bed in a half comatose state. But this man in front of me who was hitting Jason's shoulders, and teasing him about the need to work out more, was definitely not what I’d envisioned. And now, I had literally no idea what to do.

Plus, watching their interaction, I was beginning to feel like the third wheel on a cute date.

It didn’t take long for me to start regretting not offering to wait outside for Jason. Heck, I was almost at the verge of questioning why I’d even offered to accompany him to the hospital in the first place.

What was I thinking when I’d said that? Ok, I knew exactly what I’d been thinking. But why did I even think that? 

Stupid move, Brooke. Stupid, stu—

My mental criticism was cut short by the sound of JJ's voice. His attention had now fallen on me, leaving him asking, “and who could this lovely girl be?” 

Oh gosh, what do I say? What do I say? There’s a reason I’ve always avoided this ‘meeting the family’ thing –  I was horrible at it!

And it was clear in how my lips moved in an unsure smile as I said a small: “hello.” The word was barely out of my mouth before I felt like hitting my head with a baseball bat.

Hello? Hello? Of all things, why hello? But then what else could I have said? Hi? Good day?

Gosh, I really sucked at these kinds of things.

But JJ didn't seem to mind, seeing how his face brightened with a smile in response. It did feel strange though. I wasn't used to such displays of affection from older persons – well, asides my mom and Carla that is.

With my dad, it was mostly awkward smiles from him, and tight-lipped ones from me. So, receiving such a gesture from JJ, really did feel strange. But yet, it also brought a strange sense of comfort that left me feeling quite relaxed.