Part 57 - I Will Make It Right

A woman's scream draws your attention forward. It doesn't last long, but is full with pain; that's when you see Frigga running down the length of the hallway. Assuming she's coming to Loki, she runs straight to Odin, who is collapsed on the floor in front of his destroyed throne. Thanos and his minions are gone.

Pulling himself to his feet, Odin clasps Frigga's hand tightly, before allowing her to help him hobble over to where you and Thor are. Almost falling to his knees, he places one hand over Loki's chest. "My son," he weeps. Unable to take your eyes off him, that's when you notice the crimson stain on his armour, as the blood pours out from his side.

Frigga kneels beside him, taking one of Loki's hands, bringing it to her lips and kissing it softly. "I'm sorry," You manage to sob out. "It was all my fault." Frigga looks at you with sympathetic eyes, simply shaking her head as the tears flow.

"No," Odin sobs. "It was mine. I underestimated the power of Thanos. Twice." He leans over and kisses Loki's forehead. "I love you son. And I will make it right." Reaching over and grabbing your hand, he looks you straight in the eye. "They are in your care now Kate. My boys, keep them safe." he smiles slightly before turning to Thor. "You are worthy of her, son. She is the one." He then turns to Frigga. "My love..." He chokes.

Frigga, still holding onto Loki's hand, cups Odin's face tenderly. "I know what you would say, you old fool. But thank you." She leans over and kisses him softly.

Turning his attention back to Loki, Odin closes his eye, placing a hand over Loki's chest. A sudden warmth surrounds you, and an immense surge of power flows from his hand. Instantly Loki, sits up, clasping for breath, his hand clutching at his throat. Taking a look around him, he instantly meets Odin's eye. "Father?" he lets out a soft tone. Odin simply smiles at him, before suddenly transforming into little bursts of light, reminding you of fireflies, before raising to the sky, almost evaporating.

Thor lets go of you briefly, only to wrap his arms around Loki. Surprised at the show of affection, Loki finally returns the hug, before pulling away and turning to his mother, who pulls him into an identical embrace. When he turns towards you, a tear falls down his face, as he rubs his chest. "You hit me?" He takes a small look at Thor before smirking. "She's stronger than she looks." He laughs, Thor joining in, giving a little chuckle.

"Shut up," You laugh, before helping him to his feet. "Nice to have you back," You pause before giving him a hug too. "Brother." You laugh.

"Speaking of..." He smiles as you pull away.

"KATIE!" You hear Quill yelling as he runs towards you. Checking you over for any signs of injury, again, before holding you tightly. "I told you to go." He says sternly, grabbing you tighter.

"Did you get Gamora?" You ask, knowing the answer as soon as you see the despondent look on his face. You turn back to Thor, suddenly remembering the ship he destroyed. "Please tell me they weren't..."

"They weren't." He assures you, "Thanos had already left the ship. It was empty by the time I destroyed it." You nod before turning back, finally noticing everyone around you; everyone exhausted and broken.

"Thank you," You look around the room, catching the eyes of your friends, your family.

"Any idea what his plan is Kate?" Steve asks, ever the soldier. But you shake your head, looking around at the chaos and the shattered and destroyed room.

"Give her some time to catch her breath Steve," Nat walks over, giving you a hug. "We'll regroup, go over everything when we get home."

"Tony.."

"Alive and kicking." She smiles. "Back home with Bruce and Vision, waiting for you."

"I can't go home yet." She looks at you with confusion as you turn to Frigga. Tears streaming down her face as she looks out the window where Odin transformed and left. As you approach her, she turns and welcomes you into a hug with open arms. "I am so sorry."

"Don't be," She sighs, pulling you away and tucking your hair behind your ear. "He didn't have long left. And he can rest now. Knowing his sons have love in their life." You raise an eyebrow at her. "Albeit in different ways. Loki has someone he can finally be himself with: a true friend. Thor has a woman to love for all eternity." She places a hand on your cheek, wiping the tear that falls. "You are everything we ever wanted for our sons. Someone who sees them." She draws your attention to them: Thor and Loki gripped in a tight hug, grieving for their father, grieving for what they might have lost. "It's time for you to go home Kate, reunite with those you hold closest to you."

"But what about you? Asgard?" You can't help but fix your eye on Thor, wondering if he would come back to Earth with you; despite knowing that he would want to stay. "We can't just leave you alone."

"Oh my darling," Frigga coos. "I am not alone. I still have Odin pressed into my heart, until we meet again in Valhalla." She extends a hand over to Loki and Thor. "And Loki shall stay here with me."

"What?" He questions, before looking at Thor.

"She's right brother," Thor walks over to his mother, gripping her in a tight hug and kissing her on the head before grabbing your hand, intertwining his fingers with you. The feeling sustaining what little energy you have left. "It is time for you to take your rightful place." He points to Odin's now destroyed throne. "I can think of no one more deserving."

"But..."

"But nothing," Frigga grabs his hand. "It is what your father would have wanted. Why he saved you." She kisses his cheek, before pulling him towards the throne. "It is what you were born for."

You look up at Thor. Despite the pain in his eyes, you see how proud he is of Loki. Squeezing his hand, he looks down at you. "Let's go home," he smiles, tinged with sadness. You nod, before both of you walking away.