(Ch 21) Visitors From Kou

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You! You are the reason Mother is dead! And I hate you!"

"Be quiet Sarnai, you know nothing about what happened! You don't get to blame me for your mother's death!"

"Well then, who should I blame? You swore you'd protect her, yet you didn't keep your word and let her die without lifting your finger!"

"Watch it!"

"You weren't there, you're a failure of a husband and a father!"

"I did the best I could for you and your brother, but it seems I have failed to raise you!"

"You never raised me! You just prepared me for the day I take your place! The person who raised me was the head maid!"

"You better watch your tone Sarnai or else I'll have you thrown out the palace doors!"

"Then so be it! From this moment on you are not my father and I'm no longer your daughter!" 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Sarnai's pov]

Slowly opening my eyes I stared at the roof of my room. The plain white paint spread across the ceiling before slowly ending at the walls, changing to sage green. The morning sun shone through the windows and laid upon my body as I rolled over to face the orange horizon. I lay there watching the sun rise higher and higher into the night sky, fighting for the spotlight. Up to now, I had to get up and start my day, laying in bed wasn't going to do my work for me.

Today was the day that the delegates from Kou would be arriving here in Sindria, the day that I would prepare to leave here and marry Kouen. It has been a month since Sin and I last interacted and it was a long and dreaded month. Since we are both trying to help Alibaba and Aladdin with their mission, we have to see each other daily and act as if nothing happened between the two of us. It has been awkward and stressful lately since people have been picking up on our behaviour.

Sitting up in my bed and throwing my legs over the edge I raised my arms above my head and stretched before standing up and throwing on my white silk robe. Today was going to be a long day and a hard one at that. Opening up my bedroom door I walked over to the office I was being loaned to and prepared to clean it up before I left. All the scattered letters from my niece and nephew, the plans that Leo sent me about festivals that Liones would be holding, and pictures of my family that Leo sent with his letters.

A small smile crossed my lips and I re-read the letters from my family. I placed all the letters into a pile and sat down at my desk before I looked over the letter that I would send to the Emperor. My handwriting scaled five pages as I explained my plan and the reason why I didn't travel to Kou earlier. Thanks to Zen, I had an alibi about the reason I couldn't be there sooner; so the Emperor shouldn't be pissed. Once I read my writing and double-checked it to make sure everything was perfect, I placed it into the envelope before sealing it.

By the time I organized everything on my desk, I could hear the maids and knights run past my door getting ready for the arrival of the Kou ship. I gazed to my right and saw the painting that I had started. The grey paint that was laid down was in the shape of a lady as she sat there modestly with a gentle smile across her lips. Her eyes bore into mine as I noticed the space behind her, making her look lonely and plain. I stood up from my desk and walked over to the cabinet that held my oil paints and brushes and began to set them up.

I barely had time to paint and right now seemed the best time to try and finish it. Rolling up my white sleeves I grabbed a brush and started to paint a figure behind the lady. With each stroke of my brush, I got lost in my concentration and I've made more progress than I have made since I started it. As I got deeper into the artwork the painting gained colour and I realized how this painting looked so familiar and it put a smile on my face. A man and a woman, both with heartwarming smiles.