14:

TW: Discussion of abuse and eating disorder

My body tenses up as I recall the memories.

"My ex, Jacob. He didn't treat me very well..." I trail off.

He slowly runs his hand over the top of mine, then holds it, trying not to startle me. I smile at him.

"He would call me names, just not be very nice. He always insulted my body, made fun of me for being so tall and was angry that I'm taller than him. He would make comments about my weight and constantly tell me that I need to lose more. He would call me a fatass. I started to starve myself after a while. He also said my boobs were too small and suggested I get implants."

Adam seems irritated.

"He didn't deserve you then. You don't need to change anything about yourself."

"Well, I used to be chubbier than I am now. I'm really gangly now, but I wasn't always like this," I explain.

"It doesn't matter. Weight isn't important, and you shouldn't treat people like that anyway."

"You're 6'3 and fit, of course you'd say that."

He shrugs.

"I was really skinny and lanky growing up."

I look back down.

"He started to get physical. Pushing me around, hitting me. He broke one of my wrists. The abuse just got worse and worse."

He squeezes my hand.

"I'm so sorry, Hailey."

"It's whatever," I mumble.

He gently cups my face and turns my head to look at him.

"No one should ever go through that. If we ever run into him, let me know, and I'll beat his ass."

"We?" I question.

He chuckles and looks down.

"Well, I was hoping tonight wouldn't be the last time I see you. I go back home the day after tomorrow, but I was hoping that we could still keep in touch and see each other occasionally."

I flush and he looks at me. He smiles.

"You'd like to see me again?" I ask.

He gently caresses my face and I suppress the urge to flinch.

"You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. You're kind, funny, smart, and from what I've seen between you and Ileana, you're a great friend. I'd have to be a complete idiot to not do everything in my power to keep you in my life, assuming that you want to be part of my life, of course."

I can't speak, I just nod. His eyes glide from mine and down to my lips. He draws in closer, our lips almost touching when he whispers,

"You're so fucking beautiful."

I feel his warm breath grace my skin; shivers crawl down my spine and my body tingles, covered in goosebumps. He kisses me softly. I melt. He places his hands on my hips and pulls me closer. I've never experienced a kiss like this. He tangles his fingers in my hair, cradling my head.

He pulls away and leads me to my feet.

"It's getting cold, want to go inside?"

"O-okay."

We step back into the house and are integrated with the noise. We both sigh at the same time, earning a laugh from both of us.

"Do you want to leave?" I ask.

"If you do."

"Okay, let's find Illy."

He holds my hand as we wade through all the people, looking for her.

"Uh, Hailey?" he says, stopping in the center of the room.

"Yeah?"

"She's over there on the couch, but she seems drunk."

Since he's taller, he can see over everyone's heads, but I can't. I groan.

"Take me to her."

He guides me to the couch.

She's sitting on someone's lap, obviously not sober. The guy is older, and greasy. His skin is pale and crusty, his hair is brown and stringy. His arms are covered in poorly drawn tattoos.

"Ileana," I say.

She stops giggling and looks up at me.

"Oh no, my mom's here."

I roll my eyes.

"What happened to not drinking?" I ask.

"Oh, get over yourself. You think you're so much better than me."

"We're going home," I say, firmly.

"She doesn't have to if she doesn't want to," the guy speaks up.

"Yes, she does. I'm responsible for her and she's sloppy. We need to go."

They both stand up, Ileana almost falls.

"Sloppy? Fuck you! You're just mad because men want me."

Her and the guy laugh. I ignore her, grabbing her wrist.

"Woah woah woah," the guy starts. "You guys don't have to go, you can join if that's the issue," he says, looking up and down my body.

"You're not gonna fucking touch her," Adam jumps in.

"She's boring anyway," Illy says.

Adam and the guy are caught in a silent stare off.

"We're getting the fuck out of here, now!"

Ileana gives the guy one more disgustingly sloppy kiss before he smacks her ass and we leave.