29:

"Wake up, darlins! Sun's out, cocks are crowin', and we're free from this concrete prison."

I groan and stretch, my muscles ache and scream.

"Morning," Adam says in a sleepy voice.

"Morning. How's your back?"

"Fucked."

"Same."

We all climb out of the bunker and go inside mama's trailer. Once inside, mama sniffs the air, then me.

"Whew! Darlin', I think you need a shower."

I gasp.

"Mama!"

"You know where the towels are. Go."

I sniff myself self consciously. I don't even smell anything, but I want to be on the safe side. Sighing, I turn to Adam.

"I'm gonna go shower."

"Alright."

I start my shower. The hot water soothes my sore body. When I'm all done, I notice that I forgot to grab a towel and clean clothes from the spare clothing I keep here.

"Fuck!" I cuss under my breath.

My options are either not dry off, and wear my dirty clothes that are already in the smelly dirty clothes hamper, or call out for my mom to bring me a towel so I can wrap myself in it to walk to her room and get some clothes like I usually would.

I turn off the shower and walk to the bathroom door.

"Mama, can you bring me a towel?!"

She doesn't answer.

"Uhhh," I heard a deep voice start. "She's outside working on the garden right now. Can I pass you one from the crack of the door?"

"Uh, yeah," I say nervously.

I tell him where she keeps the towels. My body heats up when he returns a few moments later and passes it to me awkwardly through the crack of the door. I'm standing partially hidden behind the door, he can only see my face and my arm.

As he passes it to me, I see his eyes trail up my arm until they meet my eyes. My breath hitches in my throat as there's a moment of prolonged eye contact. He clears his throat and walks away.

Making sure to completely cover myself, I quickly make my way to mama's room, to change. I come out as she comes inside. She smiles at me.

"Well look at you. Fresh as a daisy!"

I nod, too embarrassed to speak.

"Well, come into the kitchen. I'll make you two breakfast before you get goin'."

When the food is done, we have the most awkward breakfast ever. I can feel Adam's eyes burning into my soul, but every time I look up, he looks away. When breakfast is over, we say goodbye to mama and head out the door.

Standing next to his rental car, he gives me a hug and says goodbye. I'm not able to stop myself from asking this embarrassing question.

"Am I going to see you again?"

"Of course you will, why wouldn't you?"

"I don't know. Yesterday wasn't ideal, I know that. My mom is a lot to handle, this isn't the environment you're used to back home, I feel like I've made a fool of myself."

"You haven't. You're not getting rid of me that easily."

He kisses my cheek.

"You'll see me again soon."

I smile.

"Okay."

I watch him pull away in the car before I dreamily walk back to mine. I take a second to sit in my driver seat, thinking about everything that's happened, and smiling. I force myself to come back to Earth and stop spacing out while staring at...my mom's plastic garden. Damnit, mom.