28:

I groan.

"Oh no.."

"Welp, hope you didn't have any plans for today," my mom says, laughing.

He smiles.

"No, I didn't."

"Good, time to bunker down," she replies, waddling to the door.

Adam and I follow her to the bunker. Along the way, Adam glances at me over his shoulder, and smiles softly. I give him an apologetic look in return.

I whisper an apology.

"Why are you sorry?"

"You're gonna be stuck with us all day," I explain.

"If I have to be trapped in a humid, underground room, I'm glad it's with you."

I smile. Mom holds the bunker door open for us as we all climb inside.

Once we're all in the bunker, we sit down.

"Yup, this'll be good for the arthritis," mama says.

Adam chuckles.

"You ever experience a tornado before?"

"Oh yeah. I'm from Indiana, we get a lot of them."

We spend a good chunk of time listening to his stories about his childhood. He's so polite and respectful, I can tell mama really likes him. He told us about his small hometown, school years, the fight club him and his friends started when they were younger, and his time in the marine corps.

Mama's out, snoring louder than the storm outside.

"Good luck getting any sleep," I joke.

He chuckles.

"There's always traffic or construction outside my apartment, I'm sure I'll be fine."

My stomach growls; we've been in here for hours.

"Hungry?" Adam asks.

"Nah, I can wait until tomorrow."

He wanders to the shelves of canned foods.

"Do you like pineapple?" he asks.

"Yeah, it's my favorite fruit, but I told yo-"

He grabs some plastic forks, the hand held can opener, and a can of pineapple chunks.

"Eat some with me," he says, cutting me off and sitting next to me.

I give him a fake annoyed look, but he counters it with a pouty lip. We both laugh.

He opens the can and we begin to eat.

"What's New York like?"

"Come with me and find out for yourself."

"Are you asking me to come home with you, sir?" I ask jokingly, batting my lashes innocently.

He licks some pineapple juice off his lips.

"Well, my silent pleas seem to be going unnoticed, so I figured I'd make myself clear, verbally."

I blush.

"Maybe someday," I say as I bite into another pineapple chunk.

He watches me closely.

"What?"

He bites his lip and hesitates.

"Nothing."