40:

TW: Mention of a suicide attempt

Adam is driving 10 over the speed limit. Ileana's been hospitalized for a suicide attempt. We need to stop for gas, then we'll be visiting her. My eyes sting with tears.

The salty drops trail down my cheeks. My heartstrings feel like they're just barely holding on; I didn't know I could hurt this much.

"It's gonna be okay, angel."

"Adam, she hurt herself and I wasn't even there to help."

"But she's alive. We'll get there, be there for her, and she'll be okay," he assures me.

"It's my fault."

"No, it's not. People fight; it's been hard for both of you. You two will make up, we'll get her the help she needs, it'll all work out. She's strong, she'll get through this," he says.

I smile, just barely.

"You're right. She's tough."

We pull up to a gas station. He turns off the car and rubs my shoulder, comfortingly, before getting out to go inside and pay.

"Stay here, I'll be back as soon as possible," he instructs.

I nod.

Adam goes inside and I'm left alone in the dark parking lot. The sun is down, it's quiet, other than the sounds of passing traffic.I take a deep breath before deciding to get out of the car. I lean on it, trying to shake my nerves.

"Excuse me, miss," I hear a scratchy voice say from behind me.

I turn around and see a greasy man approaching me in the darkness.

"Oh, hello."

He has a mullet, and rotten teeth.

"Was that your old man?" he asks.

"Uh, yeah?..."

He's creeping closer and closer.

"He shouldn't leave a pretty thing like you all alone out here."

I laugh, nervously. My eyes trail down and I see him grabbing his crotch. As quick as I can, I try to get back in the car. I'm not fast enough, he grabs me by the throwing, slamming me against the car.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you."

I try to scream, but can only choke.

"Hey!"

The guy's head snaps towards the entrance of the store. He lets go of me when he sees Adam running toward us. He tries to run, but he's tackled, a knife being pulled on him.

I sputter and gasp for air.

"The fuck do you think you're doing?" Adam spits, holding the knife to the guy's throat.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" the guy cries.

"You fucking should be. You're a creep; don't ever do this again. One day you'll meet someone who'll fuck you up, and I hope it permanently damages you. You smell like shit, get the fuck out of here."

He gets off of him and puts the knife away, but before the guy can stand up, I stomp on his crotch. He cries out in pain.

"Good girl, now please get in the car."

We get in the car, and the man is still laying on the ground. Adam sighs.

"Hailey, I am so sorry. I should have had you come inside."

"It's okay," I assure him.

"No, it's not."

I kiss his cheek.