38:

We get all packed up and get in Adam's car. Leaving is so bittersweet. I'll miss seeing him every day, I had an amazing couple of weeks, but I have to go home eventually. It's time to leave Adam behind and go home to deal with the Ileana situation.

As Adam drives, I pull out my phone and reread the messages from Illy. I take a deep breath before responding.

"I'll be home soon."

Is it the warmest response? No, but at least it's something. I want to apologize and make amends for everything in person. My best friend needs me, and even though she's made some poor decisions, she's still my best friend, and I love her.

I decide to nap for a bit. After what felt like only a few minutes, he was waking me up. I groan.

"We're at our first stop," he says.

I look outside and see we're at an inside trampoline place. I chuckle.

"A trampoline place?"

"Yup," he says, gleefully.

"What time is it?"

I look at my phone.

"It's 9:30 in the morning," I chuckle.

"So? They're open."

"What state are we in right now?" I ask, looking around.

"Pennsylvania. I thought jumping around would help us stretch out and wake us up before we have to drive several more hours."

He holds my hand as we walk to the building.

We spend the next few hours jumping around, doing tricks and play fighting. We're the only adults here, other than parents; it doesn't bother us. He jumps up in the air and hits the splits, but doesn't close his legs in time before coming back down. He gets stuck in the position, pulling a muscle in his leg. I have to help him up.

His arm is wrapped around me as we move very slowly back to his car. He groans.

"That was so stupid."

"You gonna be okay?"

"Yeah, grandpa just needs some rest."

I laugh.

We hit the road again, arriving in Virginia around 5PM. We check into a hotel then go out to eat before coming back to the room and turning in for the night.