CHAPTER SIXTEEN - AN INCIDENT

Surprise!

.

"Here."

A crown made of flowers was gently placed on the small head of brown hair. The toddler looked up and smiled showing her growing teeth to her twelve-year-old older brother.

The family of now five, with the addition of a one-year-old baby girl, are having a picnic in their garden.

Cale was relieved that Lily was born at exactly the same time as before. Nothing much seemed to have changed aside from him being closer to his stepmother and stepbrother. Unlike before, he can now act as he want even while protecting them from malicious relatives.

Before, he had to act like a trash to divert their relatives attention to him and to put Basen on the spotlight that he thinks he deserves. That is the only thing the eight-year-old Cale can think of doing to protect them.

But this time it's different. Now, he doesn't need to rely on his status as the count's son to scare those people away. Because of his training, especially with Beacrox, he had developed quite an impressive intimidating aura. All those who have hostile view of the mother and son would turn away the moment they saw him and how he protects them. At first they thought he and his brother would be against the marriage but they were disappointed to find out that the brothers support their father's decision.

"Ppa!" Lily raised her arms happily and called out to him. Cale felt his heart melted at the big blue eyes staring at him with a matching pure smile, also directed at him.

Then Lily took the flower crown off of her head gingerly and tried to put it on Cade's head, who's holding her, as best as she could. It was crooked but the effort is admirable.

Lily's smile widened more and she clapped happily after succeeding. Cade showed her his rare gentle smile.

"Thank you."

Cale felt like he's about to have a heart attack from the adorable sight in front of him. He could barely hear his father's suppressed squeal from the back but he ignored it.

The siblings were sitting in a circle on the grass weaving flower crowns.

Cale is the one who's in charge of teaching his younger siblings how to do it however only Basen is serious enough to learn. Lily just picks the flowers up and admires it happily, which is understandable since she's a baby but Cade wouldn't even touch the flowers. His excuse is that his hands are full from holding Lily who is sitting on his lap.

Cale thought that Cade picked Lily up for the very reason of using her as an excuse not to work on anything such as making useless crowns.

Their parents watch them by their picnic blanket while drinking tea and having a chat that did not include work.

They are currently the picture perfect family and the servants that saw them couldn't help but admire them.

Despite taking in new members of the family, they are still harmonious. Everyone commends their young masters for their generous heart.

"Come now and eat some sweets." Violan, the current countess called out to her children.

The four children stood up and walked over to the blanket smiling brightly at the array of delicious snacks and cakes displayed.

"There seemed to be a curious rumor going about." Deruth started while the children ate.

"I heard that the man-eating tree in the slums area suddenly changed one day."