Chapter 32

A'leah

After slipping some socks on my feet, I headed down the hallway to see August cooking breakfast.

"Good morning baby." I smiled. He wrapped his arms around me and pecked my lips.

"Good morning mama. Where you goin' dressed like this?" He asked. I giggles.

"To iHop silly."

"Then why you got me cookin'?" I laughed.

"I don't have you doing anything. You decided to cook." I pecked his lips and stepped into my chestnut colored uggs.

"Be careful and remember what I said." I playfully rolled my eyes.

"Yes I remember big head."

"I kno' what else big." He grinned.

"Nasty ass." I mumbled.

I grabbed my keys and left out the door getting right in the Audi. It was gonna be hard being away from the twins. I made my way down the highway, bypassing morning traffic with ease.

I arrived at iHop in fifteen minutes or less swerving into a space right in front of the restaurant. I killed the engine, grabbed my purse, locked the car up and headed inside.

My mother greeted me with open arms. I didn't hug back at first but eventually I did. She's still my mother whether I wanna accept it or not.

"Uh, hi mom." I mumbled.

"You called me mom." She grinned.

"Can we just get down to business?" I asked. She nodded and led the way to the table. My dad was sitting there reading a newspaper as always.

Growing up he'd always be in the kitchen reading the paper telling me the latest news and whatnot. He always had a large coffee mug by him too.

"Hey A'leah."

"Hi dad."

"Leah..A'leah, I want to talk first if that's okay with you." I nodded.

"Go ahead."

"I'm not proud of what I've done to you. As a mother I should be ashamed of myself. When you brought August home I was scared. All I saw was his tattoos and how he carried himself and he reminded me of your father.

When I was your age I was just like you. Always on top of my academics, at the top of my class, I was even Valedictorian. Your father was in the game at the time and I fell in love with him. I got pregnant by him a year after I met him and my parents kicked me out.

Of course I wanted what was best for you growing up. Your father was out of the picture for a while and I grew scared. I was still a baby myself and didn't know how to take care of a child. And when you were born, there was just something about you that brought so much joy into my life. I didn't want you to end up how I was, lonely, pregnant and vunerable." She admitted.

"You needed to allow me to make those mistakes so I could grow from them on my own. I always met you and dad's expectations. I never disappointed you both either. I wasn't created to be perfect mom." She nodded.

"I know. Your nana would always get on me about trying to perfect you when it wasn't possible."

"How is she?"

"She's doing well and wants to see you if that's not too much trouble." A small smile appeared onto my face.

"Of course I would."

"A'leah I deeply apologize for everything. From kicking you out, to being a bad mother, just everything. I want to make up for lost time if that's alright with you. I understand if you don't want anything to do with me."