Chapter 3

A'leah

After helping Cha with the dishes, we decided to relax ourselves with a few glasses of Brandy.

"Girl how can you manage to afford this beautiful place? What's your secret?" I teased.

She laughed and propped her feet up behind her, getting comfortable on the sofa.

"You want the honest truth?"

"Yes girl, spill."

"After God called Melvin home, things started to take a turn for the worst. Not only did his death affect me, but it affected his princesses that he left behind as well.

Mel was runnin' the streets and I wasn't working at the time. We were living off of that fast money he was making. He didn't want his woman working. I knew about him sellin' dope and yet I continued to let him run the streets."

Her eyes began to glisten just a little as she set her glass down on a coaster.

"When he passed I felt like it was my fault. I knew what he was doing and so did his mama but she couldn't get through to him. The only person that had that capability was me and I didn't take matters into my own hands.

I felt like I failed my girls. Their lives changed drastically too. We lost our townhouse and had to make room at Mama Sheila's place until we got back on our feet. The girls would cry for him at night especially Kayden.

We had a small service for Mel with just the family and two of his best friends. I decided on a closed casket because I couldn't have my babies see him like that."

Cha began to break down. I got up and wrapped my arms around her rubbing her back gently. I tried my best to not let the tears fall but once I felt them slowly trickle down my cheeks I let them fall.

"Leah I could have saved his life! He would still be here if I stopped him b-but..he's gone!" She screamed.

I held onto her tighter as she vented to me. August must've heard us cause he went upstairs with the girls.

"Cha listen to me boo." She grabbed a few tissues and blew her nose, looking at me.

"It wasn't your fault. Don't blame yourself for Mel'a death. He left behind three beautiful girls and a beautiful fiancé. He's watching over all of you each and everyday.

Don't beat yourself up about this. The girls can't see their mommy like this. You have to stay strong Chandra. Your girls look up to you. They see this beautiful and sexy mama, making all that dough at her salon." She cracked a smile, laughing a little bit.

"I know Leah, I know. Mel didn't have a will so all of his belongings were left with me. When Mama Sheila helped us pack our stuff he left all of us letters." She handed me a laminated letter and wiped her eyes.

"Go ahead and read it, I'm gonna get us some more wine."

I nodded and carefully ran my index finger against the access lamination. Cha probably didn't want the letters ruined so she laminated them.

Dear Baybeh,

Look mama, if you readin' dis' bullshit, dat mean ya boy got himself into some deep shit. I'a done fucked wit' da wrong ppl and got my lil brudda into dis' shit. This nigga look up ta' a pimp and I'a ain't settin' no example fa' him. I'a shoulda listened ta' ma' dukes when she said ta' quit but I'a was money hungry b. I'a got tired of ha' struggling ta' make ends meet. No nine ta' five was gon get us by but dis fast life right chea was. I'a ain't seent cho fine ass since last night. Dats cause I'a had sum bidness ta' take care of. I'a should be home tonight most def but don't wait on me ight? Make sho' all dem doors is locked, padlock dem muhfuckas if you got to. Keep alla lights off too. Ion't won't no 'tention drawn ta' da crib. Ma trigga figga itchin' real hard and I'a buss a cap in a nigga real quick. I'a got a loaded glock inna closet. Keep it on ya at all times ya heard me? I'a kno' yo scary ass afraid ta' pick up a glock but rememba' what I'a taught chu ight? I luhh you baybeh , buh'lee dat.