Chapter 1

A'leah

"Miss.Ruby, I'm gonna head home now."

I've been on my feet serving and cooking for twelve hours and I am tired. I think if I smell another pumpkin pie muffin I'm gonna puke.

"Wait a minute chile, I wanna talk ta' ya befo' ya leave up outta hea. Just let me lock up."

"With all due respect Miss.Ruby, I am tired could this wait?"

"No love it can't. Now, help an old woman to her car."

I linked our arms together, making my way outside to her car. She unlocked it as I helped her inside. Once she was comfortable, I then made my way around the car and got in.

"How you been gal?"

"I'm fine Miss.Ruby."

"Chile don't lie to me. I'a see everythang."

"You mean you saw me on brea-"

"Yes I did. I ain't bother you cause I figured you could use some space. What's been going on?"

A worried expression appeared on her face as she stuck the keys in the ignition. I felt tears cascade down my face and onto my lap as a smile appeared on my face.

So much for trying to convince her that everything is okay I thought.

"When I came home from work yesterday, our lights were cut off. All of the food you gave me spoiled over night. So there's no food in the house. Miss.Ruby I don't know much more of this we can take. It's like God isn't hearing me. He's watching us suffer and yet nothing has happened. No matter how hard August and I work it doesn't seem to pay off and I'm sick of it."

I felt her hand rest on mines. She gave it a quick squeeze and massaged it with her thumb.

"Look at me A'leah." She wiped my tears away and handed me a tissue.

"Chile, God works in mysterious ways. It may sound crazy but he does. All of the work you and August have done will soon pay off. Just because things are rough you don't give up. You got to fight until you got no more fight left in you. The life I'm living damn sure ain't the life I was living back in the day."

She cut the engine on and slowly sped off down the road.

"Miss.Ruby you told me you grew up as a preacher's kid."

"I did but I was far from a saint now."

"What could you possibly do that was so bad?"

"After growing up in da church with my fahva', I met a man named Ross. He drove a blue Cadillac and fell in love with drugs. Without it he'd go into fits of rage and take it out on me and every other woman he stepped out on me with.

His way of apologizing to me was showering me with diamond rings and fancy clothes. Being the yungin'thay I was, I didn't know any better. My mama died right after she gave birth to me. I never had the love and guidance from a mother that I needed.

My daddy was a pimp before he got saved. Once he got saved he acted like he wasn't doing the same devil's work. I never had a role model in my life so of course I acted out."

"So what happened?"

"Ross knocked me up with a baby a week after my junior prom. He tried to beat on me once I told him about it but I fought back. He never put his hands on me again.

I wasn't the only woman carrying his child. It was three other women too. Two before me and one after me. The one after me didn't know Ross was with me. I felt so bad for her."