Prolouge

Copyright 2014-2015 ©
By Nija L. Spencer

All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever
without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

-Xoxo Nija

--

August crept inside of his apartment around three-thirty am. He surprisingly finished a double shift earlier than the night before.

Since he moved back to New Orleans with the help of his brother Travis times had been rough. Bills and eviction notices piled up at his doorstep weekly.

It seemed as if every time he took four steps forward, something pushed him back to where he started.

Coming home to a raggedy apartment wasn't always so bad. He came home to a beautiful girlfriend named A'leah.

The two had met at a night club after he'd been released from jail several weeks prior. Just a few counts of possession had him locked up for a while but that didn't bother her.

She was a full time student at Spelman, an all girl school in Georgia. Her parents believed that boys would be a distraction to her education, so she was sent there.

A'leah grew tired of not living for herself. She lived under her parents rules all her life and had yet to experience a whole world that she had yet to see.

After getting to know each other for a year, the two made it official. There wasn't anything else in the world that made her happy then to be with August.

A'leah's parents disapproved of their relationship and made her choose between them both. Surprisingly, she choose August.

It was ridiculous to be forced to choose between either of them. They were all were so special to her.

It wasn't long before A'leah had to drop out of college. Since her parents disapproved her relationship, they stopped paying her tuition.

Not only that but they kicked her out as well with no where to go. August wasn't exactly on his feet when he got out but having A'leah by his side through it all was just enough.

He found her in their bedroom, sleeping peacefully on their blown up air mattress. A cheesy grin appeared on his face as he quietly shut the door, making his way into the small kitchen.

He found a small sticky note onto the counter that read :

Yess ramen noodles again. It's the last one so I made it for you. I've eaten all this week and I know your starving so eat up baby :)

-Xoxo Leah

This was true. August had sacrificed his dinner every night this week just so A'leah could eat. Chicken flavored Ramen noodles wasn't exactly dinner, but as long as his woman ate, he was fine.

He heated up the noddles for thirty seconds and picked up the stack of bills piled up on the counter.

Bills, Bills and more bills.

He let out a frustrated sigh, taking his bowl out of the microwave.

Sadly, the only bill he was able to pay was the rent. With all those hours of overtime at the warehouse, he'd be able to pay this month's due balance at least.

Before they could afford an apartment together, the two were homeless for over eight months. And that was before he got in contact with his brother Travis.