Chapter 5 - The First Cassette

"What do you need a VCR for?"

Freddy said he believed there could be one in a security office in the basement. Back when the facility wasn't 99% automated, they had several security guards watching cameras for the different floors, and one employee brought their own systems to use on slow nights. If we were lucky, he may have left it behind when he was laid off.

Now that I knew I fit inside Freddy, I had a portable hiding place, but Freddy assured me that I can only use that spot in emergencies. "I run out of power fast," he said. I found it odd that his power runs out quickly. Wouldn't you want him to be able to run for hours at a time during shows?

He led me through a tunnel of confusing staircases and hallways. I didn't realize this place had such a big basement. I couldn't find any information about it, so I assumed the back rooms were all small and unimpressive, so learning that there are two basement floors was a surprise.

Just past the laundry room was the office. It had a strange set up. There were two vertical sliding doors that were meant to protect whomever inside in emergencies, but using the doors for too long would drain the power, so the door won't stay closed forever. Freddy and I decided to keep the doors open unless we heard something.

"Is this it?" I picked up a black box with a large slit on the side. "I think so. Why don't you give it a try?" Freddy said.

First, I turned on the small monitor. What displayed on the screen was static. I examined the tape and carefully slid it inside the VHS player. I didn't have to push it in far before it got caught on the mechanic, and the box pulled the tape in.

Then I backed away and waited. "I wonder what's on it," Freddy said. "Me too," I replied. But we probably have very different hopes and expectations of this tape. Realistically, the likelihood of this cassette being useful is very low. I've thought about it for a while; if someone gave this tape to Sun, then maybe it's some kind of children's movie. Still, I feel as though the tape would at least have a title written on it if that was the case.

The static became steady, and eventually it evaporated into an image.

"Freddy, look," I said, watching the screen attentively. He leaned in closer to watch on the small monitor.

Someone was adjusting the camera. Their face was close to the lens as they tried to steady up. Once it was in place, they stepped back, and it was easier to get a closer look of this person. This man had brown hair and a purple shirt on, and looked as if he was in a garage. He put his arms together and motioned a collapsing clapper, like in the movies. He took a breath in and said, "Introducing the Sun and Moon prototype..." he walked out of view, and pulled in an animatronic that looked like Sun on a cart.

He flicked a switch on the back, and Sun turned on.

"This is Sun," the man said. "He's a designated caretaker for children six and below. He's able to play games, create arts and crafts, and even teach basic education." He lifted one of Sun's arms. "He's built with five fingers instead of the standard four to communicate with American sign language, and his sleeves have bells attached, so he is always making sound to alert children with sight problems. He's perfectly capable of caring for all children."

"This must be the daycare's designer," Freddy said. I looked up at him and asked, "Do you think he designed you, too?"

"I'm not sure," he admitted.

When I looked back at the screen, the man had walked off again, but this time he turned off the lights. Sun began to transform, much like how I had seen in the daycare, but this was much less unnerving. It was a slow transformation, and he didn't make as much noise. I couldn't help but notice that Sun didn't say a single word during his introduction.