Chapter 7 - Chicken Pox

I woke up to the sound of mechanical, muffled laughter. My eyesight was blurry, so I rubbed them and looked around.

Right, I'm in the storage unit behind Freddy's room. I was still using his chair. With a sigh, I got up and stretched. I didn't sleep very well, but it's better than nothing.

Sound kept playing from Freddy's room. I paused for a moment to eavesdrop.

"Oh, sorry for laughing," someone said. "It's just cute you're working so hard to protect him." Her voice was sweet mixed with the sounds of a synth. I guessed it was Chica.

"Yeah, well," Freddy said, "I just wish he came at a better time."

It didn't take a genius to realize they were talking about me. I kept listening in.

"Aw, does Freddy Weddy wanna be a daddy waddy?" she said in a cutesy voice. "Oh, come on," Freddy said, "I'm doing what any of us would."

"It's sweet," she said. "Bonnie would be proud."

There was a brief pause.

"Anyways," Freddy said, breaking the silence, "I just need you to watch him while I'm gone. He hasn't eaten anything, so maybe take him to the kitchens. Oh, here."

"Freddy, I don't need notes. I know how to take care of a kid," Chica said.

"I know, I know, I'm just nervous."

Chica laughed. "You're like a mom leaving her first child with a babysitter. I've got this."

"Lastly," Freddy said, "keep him away from Monty and Roxy."

"Huh? Why? We're programmed to like kids," Chica said.

"Yes, but they can be a bit much sometimes." Freddy sighed, "You know how they are."

"Well... if that's what you want."

I heard Freddy start walking. "Let me go wake him up," he said.

I stood in front of the doorway and crossed my arms, waiting for him to open the door. When he did, he flinched in surprise. "How much did you hear?"

"Enough," I said.

Chica gasped, and she lunged towards me, wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug. "Freddy, he's so cute!" She pinched my cheeks, "Who's the cutest? It's you!"

"Hey! Stop it, I'm not a dog!" I yelled. She let go and her smile dropped. Freddy was also staring at me. "Gregory, what happened?" he asked.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Your neck," he said, pointing at it. "You've got a bruise."

"Do you need some ice, sweet pea?" Chica asked. I shook my head, "No, it's fine."

"How did it get there? I could've sworn no one entered this room all night," Freddy said, puzzled.

I thought for a moment. Last night in the basement, with the endoskeletons, one of them had clasped its hands around my neck. Is that what did it?

I wasn't going to tell Freddy about it, though, so I tried to change the subject. "You're leaving?" I asked him.

"I have to get some maintenance done," he said.

"But I thought I fixed you! Last night, in parts and service."

"No, you gave me a power upgrade," he said. "I just need some repairs."

"More like all the repairs!" Chica chimed in. She loudly whispered to me, "He crashed in the middle of a performance."

Freddy huffed in annoyance at Chica's comment. "I asked Chica to watch you while I get my repairs," he said.