Chapter 26 - Police Custody

When we had made it to the police station, they decided to start interrogations. Just a few problems with that, though. The child psychologist was out since it was the middle of the night, meaning I'd have to be questioned by tired detectives. They were to begin asking me about my whereabouts while the receptionist tried to get ahold of my mom.

They stripped me of my belongings, that of course being Bowtie.

"Hey! Give it back!" I yelled at them, reaching out to grab it back. The officer that took it had to be at least six feet tall. His shoulders were wide and broad, and he lifted his arm up so that I couldn't take it. "We'll give it back once we're done," he said. They were going to use Bowtie as bait to get me to talk.

The other clasped a handcuff ring around my wrist and started pulling me towards a room in the back. It was the typical interrogation room, with the two way mirror on one side. The walls were blank with strong fluorescent lighting. A table and two chairs were in the middle. He sat me down in one chair and used the open handcuff on the chair, effectively making me stuck to it. I tried to kick him away, but I couldn't hit him hard enough to make him move. When he was finished he walked out, and the door locked behind him.

I tried to stand up and walk around, but the chair I was attached to was bolted to the floor. I wasn't going to even bother moving around. I sat back down and I looked around the bland room. I had to shield my eyes from the ceiling lights as they made everything blurry. Everything was just concrete slabs. There was a camera in the corner, barely visible. I shook my head trying to clear it, touching my face with my free hand.

I was by myself for a while. I figured they were discussing how the interrogation was going to go. The door swung open and a man stepped through, sitting across from me. He had several papers with him, and he organized them before he politely clasped his hands together.

I got a good look at him, even if the bright lights were making me dizzy. His hair was dyed dark blonde, his skin a light brown, and he wore a tan trench coat that lowered to his knees. His shirt was white and he wore the classic detective straps. He had a small earpiece in his right ear, though it didn't look as if it had a mic. His face was friendly, and I couldn't sense any kind of ill intent from him.

"Sorry," he apologized, "this must be so frightening for you. I'm Detective Joel Carston. What's your name?"

He knew my name, it was just standard protocol to ask for a name, so I wasn't going to bother answering. It already felt like he was talking down to me. I tried to lift my hand that was attached to the chair, but I couldn't get it much higher than my waist.

"Yeah... that was Martin's idea. He's really distrustful, but don't be mistaken. You're not in any trouble. We just want to hear where you've been," he said. He was lying, definitely lying, I could feel it in my gut. My body shook from the anxiety I was feeling.

"Hello?" Joel said, trying to grab my attention. I turned away, not wanting to see him.

"I can't help you unless you're willing to cooperate," he warned. The glaring lights made it hard for me to focus. They reflected off the floor and shone back into my eyes, so no matter where I looked I was getting a bright white in my face.

"Can you turn off the lights?" I weakly asked.

"But then I won't be able to see you."

"It's too bright," I whispered. He thought about it for a moment.

"If I turn off the lights, will you answer my questions?"

I nodded, though I had no intention of talking. I just needed to get the brightness out of my eyes.