Chapter 31 - Beauty Hurts

"Ugh! How long is this going to take?" I complained. Michael and I were rummaging through the backrooms of Roxy's Raceway looking for her personality chip. I was arms deep in a filing cabinet near the room where Roxy had broken the door down while trying to chase me.

"I don't know!" Michael answered honestly. "I don't even know if Roxy has a chip. I didn't build her." He was over in the next room, but since the door was gone I could see him looking through drawers quickly like I was.

"What if she doesn't have one?" I asked.

"Then, we're screwed! I know nothing about her or her systems! It'd take me a couple days to analyze it," Michael said, starting to stress out.

"Shit," I muttered quietly so Michael couldn't hear me. Bowtie hit the back of my neck lightly. "Language!" it said.

Surely her design can't be so different from the others? Then again, in contrast to Chica and Freddy, Roxy was the only one who showed such intense emotion while the other two took orders from Vanny. Maybe her inner workings really were vastly different, making her unpredictable even to Vanny. If Roxy doesn't have a chip, then how is Michael going to return her old code?

"Do you think they'd have her blueprints around?" Michael asked.

"How should I know? You're the one who worked here!" I retaliated. Michael shut the drawer he had been searching through and marched over to me.

"Maybe we could look elsewhere. They may have hidden it somewhere else," Michael said, softly placing his hand on my shoulder as he walked past me.

I set my anxiety aside and caught up with Michael. "Where else could it possibly be?" I asked.

"The chips were unique and were sought for often, so Fazbear Entertainment decided that the 'hiding in plain sight' method would work best. Monty's was in the wooden treehouse in the center of his golf course, Bonnie's was in one of the bowling ball handlers, Foxy's was in one of his chest props– you get the gist," Michael explained rapidly.

"Why not just put them in a safe? Or a vault? That seems more practical," I said.

"Yes, but is it cheap?" Michael rhetorically asked.

"It can't be that expensive for a safe," I mumbled. Fazbear Entertainment's stupid precuation plan made it difficult to retrieve the chips. Wouldn't they want them to be easily accessible for their employees?

"Eh, well, I didn't make the decision, so..." Michael trailed off. That choice was so frustrating.

"Bowtie, would you know where Roxy's chip is?" I asked it. It shook its head.

"No, this is the first I'm hearing of these," it said. Its ears peered down and it pulled on my cheek as if to mean to step away from Michael. I did just that, moving a few feet away from him. I turned back to get a better look at Bowtie.

"What is it?" I asked.

It put its paws together as it stammered, "Do you think he... doesn't know about Bonnie?"

My eyes widened. Of course he wouldn't know about Bonnie. If he didn't know about Foxy, which happened much later, he certainly wouldn't have heard about Bonnie. Great, I had to break the news about that too. Not just one of his animatronics had left, but another had been brutally destroyed by Vanny for scraps.

"No, he probably doesn't," I said. I peered back at Michael who was looking intensely at the race track.

"If I had known about the chips," Bowtie said, "I would've told Bonnie to get his. He needed them."

Bonnie had started to act berserk before he "lost his mind." He wasn't acting like himself, and I was convinced it was due to Vanny's handling of him. Either it was her manipulating the world around him, or slowly changing his code, he eventually became paranoid before shutting down for good.