Chapter 34 - Fake Tranquility

Vanessa had her back turned to us as she hunched over on a swivel chair inside the protective cylinder, typing away at the laptop. Her hair was pulled back in her usual ponytail, poking through the security hat. Monty's body was placed in the chair, but everything beneath his chest was missing. I now saw what Vanny meant by "snapped him in half."

She hadn't noticed us yet, so we turned the corner and Michael and Sun gently placed Roxy onto the ground of sight.

"Vanessa..." Michael whispered, thinking to himself.

"She's the security guard!" Sun said, and Michael motioned with his hand for him to keep his voice low.

"She works for Vanny. Or is Vanny. I haven't figured it out yet," I said, though I was leaning more towards just working for Vanny. There was no way she'd be able to change in and out of costume fast enough as she would have to if she was Vanny.

"Now, don't be too harsh," Bowtie said from behind me. "She did save us, after all."

"She saved you?" Michael asked for clarification.

"She called the cops on me!" I refuted to Bowtie. "All she did was make it harder to get back inside."

"You wouldn't survive another minute if you didn't have that hospital break," Bowtie declared. I scowled at it. I would've been just fine!

"Now's not the time to argue," Michael interrupted. He took the crowbar from my hand and peered over the corner. "Sun, watch Gregory. I'll handle this," he said. Sun excitedly nodded.

"I can help–" I tried to refute, but Michael had other plans.

"No, you'll do as I say," he interrupted. I shrunk in place, but I nodded as well, letting Michael take the lead.

Michael peered over the corner once again and opened the doors, walking into parts and service. Sun tried to pull me away from the corner so that I couldn't look over, but I wanted to see what he'd do when he made it inside. Michael opened up the protective cylinder using the monitor, quickly rushing into the cylinder with the crowbar geared up ready to hit.

"Vanny, now is not the time!" Vanessa shouted before turning around. When she did, and was met with Michael's frame as he prepared to hit against her head, the surprise shocked her so much she dropped the laptop, causing the edges to crack. "Shit, shit!" she muttered, debating whether to pick up the laptop or lean away from Michael. She chose the latter, leaning back onto the glass window. Her face was puffy with black streaks falling down her cheeks.

"Are you going to kill me?" she asked.

"Not if you give me a good reason not to," Michael replied. I hoped he was bluffing. As much as I hated her, I didn't think I could watch him kill her. Knock her out, yes, but death was a much bigger offense.

Her eyes darted around his face, but after a few moments, she dropped her shoulders and let her head fall. "I can't," she murmured through her hands.

Michael lifted his hand further in preparation, and she turned her head and embraced for impact. Michael's arm shook before he dropped his stance, letting out a sigh. Vanessa covered her head with her arms, still waiting for Michael to hit her.

"I can't do it," Michael mumbled. Vanessa looked back at Michael, but she still seemed unsure. He pointed the crowbar at her to stay on the defensive side, not quite putting his guard down completely. "A-Are you okay? You look like you've been crying," he stammered, seeming not quite sure if he should break her or console her. I let out an exasperated gasp, though I don't think they could hear me from this distance. Really, Michael?