Chapter 13 - Spider's Web

Roxy's Raceway was still under construction, but according to Roxy it was functional. The garage door that led to it was boarded up with signs saying the attraction was closed, along with a small pathway inside formed by the barricades.

After a bit of squeezing through the construction, we eventually made it to the raceway. The track itself looked polished, except for the occasional road blockage. It had tire props to the sides and there was a giant cutout of Roxy near the ceiling with two racing flags.

A recording of her voice rang through the room, welcoming us to the track. There were food stands surrounding the entrance, and the track itself was below, connected by a set of stairs. There were four garage doors, each filled with equipment ranging from protective gear and the karts themselves. Roxy put on a helmet on me and helped me put on elbow and knee pads.

"I don't see why all this is necessary," I said. "Karts flip over sometimes, you gotta protect your joints," she said, lightly patting one of my elbow pads. "That's why they installed my new eyes, to see if there were any kids trapped underneath if a crash happens."

Roxy said her eyes were installed a couple months ago, so that must be around the time construction started on the raceway. We walked over to the garage loaded with karts, and as Roxy was pulling one out, she realized something.

"Huh. You're too short," she said.

"What?"

"You're under the height limit, you'll have to ride with a driver assist," she explained. "That's so lame! Can't I just ride with you?" I said. She laughed, "I take up a whole kart! Relax, there's one around here somewhere."

We roamed around the perimeter of the raceway, and near the back of the room we found the kart with the driver assist, however its head was off its body and therefore wasn't functional. I groaned, even more annoyed than I was before. "Hey," Roxy said, equally irritated as I was but was trying to appear calm, "we'll just look for the head. It's fine." I was starting to doubt that.

The area around the race track was horribly cluttered with leftover construction supplies such as bright orange cones and piles of wood and metal. We searched together but also separate; in the same area and close enough to talk, but oftentimes far enough that it'd be necessary to raise your voice so the other could hear. I took of the helmet as it was blocking my vision. While I searched, I couldn't get my mind off of one thing. Roxy's past.

She explained she was Foxy's replacement after Pirate's Cove was shut down after it stopped making enough money, and that she's also the newest animatronic amongst the five. Even so, she joined before Bonnie's death, since he's in many of the photos from her scrapbook. What kind of relationship did they have? Was it as positive as Chica's and Freddy's? And what's the deal with Freddy and Roxy not getting along?

The word "replacement" circled around my head. Of course, she was quite literally Foxy's replacement in terms of Fazbear Entertainment giving the boot to Foxy and bringing in a shiny new animatronic, but she wasn't like him at all. She wasn't a new pirate themed robot or a somewhat scary attraction. She was modern and attractive, built to bring a different audience. In other words, she's original.

"Roxy? Can I ask you something?" I asked. I looked over my shoulder to see her.

"You just did, ha," she snickered, turning around to look at me. She saw the serious look on my face and straightened up. "But, uh, sure pup. What's up?"

"What was it like being Foxy's replacement? Like, was it tough?" I questioned. Her face shifted into a surprised expression. "I-it's okay if you don't wanna answer. Never mind, it's a stupid question," I said, turning back to continue looking for the driver assist's missing head. She stood up and started walking over. "No, no, it's not stupid," she said, and she knelt down beside me.