Chapter 35 - Stretch

Sun stayed by Monty's side as he helped him balance himself. Roxy was next to me, watching the scene unfold as Michael and Vanessa explained the situation to Monty together. He looked as if he was in a state of shock and confusion, and I couldn't blame him. Everything about this was messy.

"Just to recap," Monty mumbled, rubbing the bridge of his muzzle as he processed everything, "Michael built me, Vanessa betrayed Vanny, and Vanny wants to kill Gregory to resurrect Michael's father, who is a child murderer ."

"You're taking this pretty well," Roxy said, pleasantly surprised.

"Argh! I'm about to break something!" he growled, moving around his new hands. Guess he wasn't taking it as well as Roxy thought. He spotted the claw attachment that Vanessa had dropped a while back and picked it up, carrying it above his head as he prepared to throw it back down.

"Wait, wait! Don't break that!" Michael called out. Monty moved it closer to his chest. "Gregory's right, we could use it as a weapon," Michael explained.

"What? That was my idea!" Vanessa said, but Michael ignored her.

"Here, I'll make some adjustments to it," he said, walking past Vanessa and approaching Monty. He took it from his hands and let out a heave, surprised by its weight. He brought it over to the operation chair in the protective cylinder, using it as a desk. He took off his backpack and rummaged through his tools.

"Mazercise is our next target," Michael said as he began modifying the giant claw. "Vanessa, where's the chip specifically?"

"I think it's hidden on the dumbbell shelves," she said.

"Dumbbell shelves?" I repeated. "I didn't see any equipment when I went in there." All that was there was a concession stand that sold bakery goods in front of a small maze made out of thin panels.

She turned to me. "Did you complete the first maze?" she asked.

"First maze?" I said.

She groaned. "Mazercise consists of several different trials. The first is a shifting maze, the second is a short obstacle course, and the third is another larger maze with a ton of equipment inside."

It was then I realized I never actually made it through the maze. I just made my way to the vent grate so that I could take a peek into Gator Golf.

"Oh," I sighed. That sounded like a lot of work. Hopefully we didn't have to go through it all.

"It is Mazercise ," Roxy said, stressing the exercise part of the name, "it's supposed to be a challenge." That small maze wasn't much of an exercise when I thought about it.

"Oh! I've always wanted to check out Mazercise!" Sun squealed with excitement. He brought his hands together as he cheered to himself. "Chica's always going on and on about how fun it is!"

"You haven't been?" I asked, and Sun shook his head in response.

"I'm always up in the daycare. But I hear about it from time to time," Sun said.

"I'm excited to see it, too," Michael admitted from inside the protective capsule, still working on his upgrade.

"You haven't been either?" Monty asked him. "I thought you were the genius behind this place."

"I was around when the idea was pitched, but I never actually saw it," he explained. He must've left before he saw it. "I had to rewrite some parts of Chica's personality for it."

"Really?" Vanessa asked, suddenly piquing her interest. "Why?"

"She had to go from a food fanatic to a food fanatic who loves to exercise. It wasn't that big of a change, she's still as kind and happy as ever," Michael replied.