Chapter 36 - Labyrinth

Vanny laughed maniacally, her voice booming through the speakers. There was still tossing and tussling from outside, but I was blocking it out as I tried to listen to Vanny.

"Gregory! Can you hear me?" Michael shouted. I realized I hadn't said anything since Michael and Vanessa joined me inside the maze.

"Yes! Yes, I can!" I yelled back, touching the wall that his voice was coming from. I heard him out of a sigh of relief.

"Shut up, you two! I'm about to explain the rules," Vanny said. I couldn't see her, but her voice was much clearer compared to Michael's.

"We're not playing your game, Vanny!" Vanessa yelled. Her voice came from my other side.

"Ah, Vanessa..." Vanny sighed. "I'm sorry I have to do this to you. I really did like you." Vanessa stayed quiet, so Vanny continued. "And I know you liked me, too, even if you pretended not to be interested."

"What the? What kind of relationship did you and Vanny have ?" Michael shouted, somewhat disgusted.

"Ignore her, she's just being an ass," Vanessa said. Vanny scoffed through the speakers, but she recollected herself and continued her monologue.

"Michael," Vanny addressed him, "if I could, I'd kill you, but unfortunately that'd probably require incinerating you, and I'm not quite ready to burn the pizzaplex down just yet. Since you're practically invincible otherwise, I had to alter the classic 'first to win lives' move."

"You're gonna make us race to the end?" Michael yelled.

"Yes! If Michael reaches the end first, Gregory will be spared and Vanessa dies. However, if Vanessa wins, Gregory dies," Vanny declared. Michael was essentially playing the game in my place.

"What if Gregory reaches the end first?" Michael asked.

"Haha! He won't," Vanny assured. "Freddy's in the maze to collect him."

Collect me? He was going to put me in that stomach hatch, wasn't he? I could barely stand being in there when he was friendly, I couldn't imagine how awful it'd be if he was under Vanny's control.

"Good luck, you two! I advise you begin moving now. And Gregory; don't keep Freddy waiting," Vanny warned, and her voice dissolved as quickly as it had appeared.

I started breathing heavily as I worried about the possibilities. I didn't want to die, but I didn't want to kill Vanessa to stay alive, either.

"Vanessa, listen to me!" Michael immediately yelled, trying to ask Vanessa for a truce. "Don't fall for this! We can work this out!"

"Easy for you to say!" Vanessa shouted back. "Your life isn't on the line!"

"Vanny isn't going to kill you! She just wants Gregory!" he shouted, but I didn't believe that. I'm sure she didn't believe it either, and I heard her feet shuffle as she debated whether to begin running or listen to Michael.

"Do you really expect me to believe that?" Vanessa screamed.

"Don't you get it? Regardless of the winner, he'll die if she gets her hands on him!" Michael said. "She's just trying to pin us against each other while she gets ahold of him!"

"Well... it's working! I can't take that chance!" she confessed.

"Don't let her trick you! Vanessa!" Michael called out.

"I'm sorry, Gregory," she said quietly, but I still heard her, and I heard her footsteps as she started running away.

"Vanessa!" I called out to her, but she didn't return. My adrenaline kicked in, and I felt my eyes twitch as I started to panic.