Chapter 33 - Dance, Dance, Retribution

When I opened my eyes, everything was indistinguishable. I was laying on my side, my arms stretched out in front of me. My limbs were too stiff to move, effectively paralyzing me in place. I forced myself to slow my breathing before I freaked myself out too much, trying to find some common ground as to where I was. I tried remembering everything that happened before this moment.

I was sedated. Moon had given me some kind of drug to put me to sleep. Michael and Sun rushed to my aid, and I remembered Michael lulling me to sleep as he massaged my face. Are they here now? I wished they were and I just couldn't see them.

The ceiling was bright. It was really the only thing I could view. The ground felt hard and cold, and my shoulder blade dug into it uncomfortably. I felt queasy, but I couldn't force myself to let it out.

I heard some muffled noise to my side, as if it was blocked by something. I tried my best to look past my own arm, though it was hard to see further than that. Still, I did see that there was a wall of... something beside me. My sight still hadn't fully recovered, but it was brown and rigid. It didn't reach the ceiling, making it possible to hop over if necessary.

I listened as best as I could, but I couldn't make out any words. I wanted to let out a noise to let whoever was there know I was here, but nothing came out of my mouth. There was something blocking the back of my throat, and if I didn't get it out soon I feared I'd start to suffocate.

I tried moving my hand. It was slow, but soon enough I managed to move my wrist far enough to lift it off the ground. I then attempted to move my arm, and I steadily began regaining control over my body. Once I lifted my chest off the ground, I started coughing, banging on my ribs to get whatever was blocking my airways.

"Gregory?" I heard Michael yell. The first word I've heard since waking up, and it was crystal clear. I wanted to yell something back, but I couldn't. The wall of what I now recognized as stacked, empty cardboard boxes collapsed to the floor as he pushed it over and dropped beside me.

"You're awake!" he yelled too loudly, hurting my ears. He pulled me close to him and gave me a hug, but I couldn't give the gesture back.

"Are you okay? How do you feel?" he quickly asked.

"I think... I'm gonna be sick," I answered honestly. Michael handed me one of the empty boxes and said, "I was prepared for that."

I hunched over and emptied my stomach into it as Michael rubbed my back. "Let it out," he assured softly. He left my side for a brief moment and returned with my backpack in hand, pulling out a plastic water bottle and giving it to me.

I really didn't want to put anything down my stomach right now, but I went ahead and took a gulp to appease Michael. I was surprised by how thirsty I was; I had half the bottle before I felt like throwing up again.

Once it was over, I laid down on the floor in exhaustion. I was covered in sweat, and I wiped my face with my elbows, though it wasn't that effective. "Feeling any better?' Michael asked, kneeling beside me. I glared at him with an irritated look.

"I feel... foggy," I said quietly. I didn't have a lot of energy. If it weren't for Michael talking to me, I was sure I'd pass out again.

Michael laughed. "Well, at least you're awake," he said.

I did feel much better compared to when I woke up. The room stopped spinning and a heavy weight was lifted from me. Michael suddenly pulled my arms up, giving me another embrace as we sat on the floor. "I was so worried," he whispered, scrunching the hair on the back of my head with his hand.

I was still in place before I wrapped my arms underneath his, giving him my own hug. I rested my ear against his heart and listened to it thump. I exhaled a big breath, allowing my shoulders to shrug and letting out a small giggle.