Chapter 12

A Bet

T.A.2490

Rivendell

Arwens' POV

It has been seven hours since, Ada told me to go find my brothers. It is late in the night, early morning.

I - we all were worried, we did not know what was going on.

All we knew for sure, was that our little brother or sister will be arriving. I just hope that he or she is alright, from what Lindir told us it was not pretty.

Nothing can get the sound of Naneth scream out, but it was only muffled by the doors. I guess it was a good thing.

Elladan and Elrohir are taking about some kind of bet, if it is going to be a boy or a girl.

(Can they ever be serious? Maybe it is just to keep Naneths' muffled scream out of their mind.)

Off in the distance Lindir and Glorfindel were having one their daily arguments. Glorfindel is Captain of the guard, and one of my father's closest men.

"No, Glorfindel this is not the time for a bet."

(Thank you Lindir. At least someone knows when to be serious.)

"Pulse, if I remember correctly, you lost twice already. I am sure you would lose again."

(Never mind.)

"What do you mean again?" Elladan asked. "When did the two of you started betting?"

Lindir and Glorfindel looked at us, seeing that they were not going to get out of this. So they started to tell the full story.

"It started when you two were born." Lindir said referring to Elladan and Elrohir. "Glorfindel thought he could win an easy game."

"By betting if we were twins or not?" Elrohir asked.

"No, we knew you were going to be twins." Glorfindel stated.

"How could you have possibly known." I asked.

"It was last minute." Lindir said.

We nodded.

"So, what was the bet?" Elladan asked.

Glorfindel covered his face with his hands, groaning at the mention of the thought.

"Glorfindel, bet that you two would be Elleths, and I bet you would be two Ellons."

"And the loser had to?" Elrohir asked.

"Had to propose to...Erestor." Glorfindel replied, in shame.

We all laughed.

"It was amusing." Lindir said laughing.

"It was humiliating." Glorfindel objected.

We laughed again, but quickly stopped when we heard a muffled scream. We were silent for a moment, then continued the story.

"What was the second bet?" l asked.

Lindir and Glorfindel both looked at me.

(Oh, Vala.)

"You both bet on me too?" I asked ferocious.

"Now, that. I was surprised that Lord Elrond did not kill us." Lindir said.

"You bet on our sister too?" Elrohir asked amused. "That is too amusing."

"What was the bet?" Elladan asked also amused.

"Well, we both agreed that you would be a girl." Glorfindel said. "So, we bet on appearance. I bet you would have hair of your mother and eyes of your father, and Lindir bet you would have hair of your father and eyes of your mother."

"What did you have to do, Glorfindel?" l asked.

"He had to write a love letter to Lady Celebrían." Lindir replied.

My mouth dropped, I did not believe my ears, and it seems neither did Elladan or Elrohir.

"How did that go over?" Elrohir asked.

"Again, surprised Lord Elrond did not kill us." Lindir said once more.

"So, what did you bet this time?" l asked

"I bet another daughter." Lindir replied.

"And, I bet a third son."

"I agree with Glorfindel, I am going to have another little brother."

Elrohir just shook his head.

"Sorry, Elladan but it is going to be a girl."

"I thought you were wanting it to be a boy?" I questioned.

"Yes, well I changed my mind."

"And the loser?"

"Has to wear a dress for a week." I suggested.

The four lords agreed and shook hands. Which was when a small cry came.

A cry of a newborn.

~~~

( ) - Thoughts

Ellons - Male elves

Elleths - Female elves

Ada - Father

Naneth - Mother

I'm a stinker. Aren't I?

Over 700 views!

Thank You to '69UNICORNSWAG, HIrilSilima, and PastelMeow' for voting on my last chapter.

Really means a lot, that ya'll like the story.