Two

Lord Stark had summoned his sons and ward to a hunting trip in the Wolfswood outside of Winterfell

Lord Stark had summoned his sons and ward to a hunting trip in the Wolfswood outside of Winterfell. Robb, Jon, Bran and Theon enjoyed themselves as they took in the nature around them.

"Lord Stark, you and your men never discovered the wolf that attacked Jale?" Theon asked as their horses rode further.

"No , we searched for over a year for the beast. Most men beileve it was one of the Gods showing itself to her, as the direwolves have been extinct south of the wall for over 200 years. I never expected to find it."

Lord Stark was a firm believer in the Old Gods. But when he witnessed his daughters mutilated body from the beast who attacked her, he questioned their just. She was a child, attacked by a wolf, struck with fever, festering infection, and left traumatized from a beast that appeared never to have existed.

Ned Starks admiration for wolves soon turned to hardened grudge. Whenever he hunted, he would make sure to bring one home in hope to ward off the Gods interest in his daughter.

"Jale doesn't like wolves. That's why she never wears our sigil on her neck like Sansa and Arya." Bran spoke as he rode happily along with his brothers, watching the crows dance in the trees.

"Ironic isn't it." Jon said as they rode along.

After a few deer and a duck, on the Stark mens way home Jon discovered a bloodied heap of messy white fur laid upon a rock bed.

He wearily approached as his brothers and father soon followed.

"It's- a direwolf." Jon said as his father and brothers joined him.

Whining pups could be heard.

The wolfs belly was slit open almost as if someone had cut her just to free the whining babes inside.

Jon picked up one as his father fell to the ground beside him to look at the beast.

"Impossible..." His father mumbled to himself as he ran his fingers across the beasts fur.

"Do you think that's the one Jon? If it is I'd say the people were right. We never speak about the accident and the one time we do we find this." Robb spoke from atop his horse. A grim expression on his face.

"There's six pups, one for each of the Stark children." Jon smiled as he handed the first one to the excited Bran.

"No." His father spoke. His voice calm yet with a striking tone.

"We'll kill the pups mercifully. Direwolves are dangerous, not meant to be pets for children. Your sister would not be able to live within any of the walls of Winterfell with one of these without collapsing in fear."

Brans eye's widened.

"No father! They're only babies! I'll help Jale not fear them I promise! There's even one for her! The pretty grey one! It's eyes are green her favorite color!" Bran fought as he grabbed his pup and the one he had chosen for his eldest sister.

His father sighed as he watched his son protectively stand over the direwolves.

Had the Gods laid this wolf here for my children? It was a thought that crossed Ned Starks mind. It was no coincidence there were exactly six. One for Jale all the way to little Rickon.

"The wolves will not come inside until your sister has a say on the matter." Their father said sternly as his sons all excitedly grabbed at the pups.

"Jon look! There's a seventh! Now all the Starks have one!" Bran shouted.

Jon couldn't help but feel touched at his little brothers words.