Daenerys - A Side Chapter

Dany sat within her tent with Ser Jorah as Doreah braided her hair. Drogo liked it when Dany's hair resembled his peoples.

"What were the Starks like Ser Jorah? My brother has spoke of them before but only from a biased opinion. If i am to be Queen one day as Viserys says I must know more about my people." Dany looked to Ser Jorah who held solemn eyes.

Dany knew the North was a hard subject for the middle aged knight. But she wanted to know more about the hardest of people it would be for her and the Dothraki's to conquer. The Khalasar was not accustomed to the cold winds of Westeros.

"The North if filled with very strong people, Khalessi. We have been able to survive the most brutal of winters for generations and we were the first conquerors of Westeros."

Ser Jorah had caught the attention of the former bedslave also. She was from Volantis and knew little about the world of Westeros.

"Your brother probably refers to them as usurpers. Aye we were, myself included. I was there at The Trident the day Robert killed your brother. It is something I can never forget."

Dany frowned at Jorah's past.

"Your brother was like a soaring dragon when fighting. He was fast and elegant like a dancer. His armor was as black as night with red rubies. His helmet had two large dragon wings, his long silver hair escaped below. I remember watching him from the battle field in awe. The large Robert looked like a hideous giant next to the Prince."

Dany smiled as Jorahs praise of her brother.

"I remember watching your brother take his last breath. I felt a pang in my chest when it happened, like a knife had cut a string. I was confused as to why I felt guilt watching the death of the son of a mad man who had killed my lord and my own family. But now I understand why Khalessi. We can not blame children for their parents mistakes."

Dany grabbed Jorahs hand. She squeezed it tightly as the older man frowned.

"Ned Stark was there that day as well. He was the only logical man during that war. He kept Robert in line. He's the real reason Robert Baratheon won the throne."

He watched as Doreah continued to braid.

"Eddard Stark, he was my leige lord. He was a good and honorable man. If you had asked me about him four months ago I would have had a very different answer Khalessi. I would have told you how much I hated that man, but since I have come to you as your advisor, my opinion on him has changed."

Dany had known about the reason for Ser Jorah's banishment. She herself had even scolded Jorah for condoning slavery before.

"We we're close with the Starks. His wife, Lady Catelyn Tully was a righteous woman. Despite being a child of the Riverlands, she was a northman. She was stern with her children yet loving and admirable. I can say with all certainty their union is one of the only in all of the seven kingdoms to be founded on true love."

"Together, they have had seven children who the North love and care for. But in all of the northmens heart there is a special place for their first born, Jaleryd Lyanna of House Stark."

Dany had heard the name before. Viserys remembered the news of Jaleryd Starks birth when he was still the Prince of Dragonstone. He told Dany how their mother had thought to marry him to a Stark one day, so he may escape to the North to be a reach away from his father.

"The bells rung throughout the North for three days straight at the news of her birth, but soon her light was cast away when Catelyn gave birth to her first born son, Robb. As a daughter, the people cast her aside. But the Gods changed that, as they will with you Khalessi."

"After the rebellion, Ned Stark had brought home a bastard he had father, Jon Snow. Lady Jaleryd had clung to the bastard the second her father returned from the war to Catelyns dismay."

"Not long after Lady Sansa was born with bright red hair and Northern eyes. Sansa was only three when the event that would change the Stark family happen. Catelyn at the time was pregnant with her next daughter Arya."

"The story says that Lady Jaleryd and the bastard Jon Snow had went out to play by the river on the morning of her seventh name day. She was a beautiful child, having her mothers face instead of the long Stark one. She was honored to be called the Northerner beauty by King Robert."

"Her half brother had been playing on the rocks, scrapping his legs and hands. They say the blood from his wounds were what caused the attack."

Dany looked to the rope scars on her hands from riding her horse.

"She was playing by the water, a beast preying upon them from the shadows. A direwolf, thought to have been extinct beyond The Wall for over a hundred years. It paid no mind to the bleeding little boy but the auburn headed seven year old."

"Jon Snow said the wolf was black as coal and larger than any wolf he had ever seen. He said Jaleryd screamed in agony as the beast ripped at her face."

Doreah's face filled with horror.

"When he returned with his father to find his sister. She was alone and bleeding but horribly disfigured. The Gods had spared her, but for what cause? That we do not yet know. Many think Jaleryd should be her fathers successor in her younger brothers place. When the time comes it will most likely end up in a civil war forced by the people."

Dany had not known of the possibility of civil wars within The North. She was uneducated in Westerosi politics, as was Viserys even if he would not admit it.

He always claimed they would take the kingdoms with fire and blood. There would be no place or time for civil wars only time to serve him and Daenerys.

"How do you think it will end if the war does occur? The Starks I did not think to be the ones to turn on their blood."

"Aye they aren't your grace. It will be the people who force Robb and Jaleryd's hands. The children have quarreled since young but would not do to such extremes. My aunt Maege, who now is the head of House Mormont, would likely take Jaleryd's side. The Umbers and Glovers along with her. Robb would have the Karstarks, Boltons, and Tallharts. It would be a very devastating and long war Khalessi."

Dany pondered long into the night about Jaleryd Stark. She imagined the scares on her face as she laid beside Drogo, his child growing within her.

She didn't know much about Jaleryd and Robb Starks relationship as siblings, but she hoped they were not as her and Viserys were. The North would be doomed if it were the case.

The North was valuable and when her time comes to be queen she knew she would have to stop such a catastrophe from occurring.