Five

It was rare Jales mother and father would summon her to their chambers

It was rare Jales mother and father would summon her to their chambers. Usually when it happened it meant she had once again done something awful in her mothers eyes.

"Jale, a friend of mine in Kingslanding wanted me to share a message with you." Her mother spoke.

"Lord Petyr Baelish, The Master of Coin on the Kings small council. He used to send you birthday gifts when you were a girl. He has written to both your fathers and I as well as you."

Jale hadn't even known her mother had a friend in such a powerful place. Some could say the small council had more power than the king.

For a moment Jale could not place the name. Then she remembered one very memorable gift she received.

"The one who sent me my horse?" Jale magnificent horse, a black night clydesdale who put all others to shame.

She was the largest horse within Winterfell. She stood even taller than Lord Starks horse. She was no doubt worth a hefty penny.

"Yes." Catelyn looked wearily to her husband.

"He says he wishes he could have finally met you in person, accompanying the the King on Kingsroad, but it is his duty to reign in his absence. He will be sending a gift as apologies. He also states that he is willing to help us in search of you a fitting match. And wishes to start a correspondence not only with me and your father but also you."

Petyr Baelish had always been an enigma growing up. Catelyn often brought him up in passing during conversation about her girl years, Jale would watch her father cringe and try to change the subject.

Then she started receiving the elaborate gifts from so far south. Gowns imported from Essos, perfumes and silks of Pentosi origin, jewelry fit for that of queens, and lastly her horse who she received as her sixteenth nameday present from the stranger. It had been two years since the last strange gift delivery.

"Why does he take such an interest in me? He has my whole life and has never once sent my siblings anything or even written to you in their regards. I do not trust such a strange character." Jale looked to her father who appeared to agree. He wanted nothing to do with Petyr Baelish until he laid his eyes on him himself to see if he's changed.

"I understand that Jale, but you are well beyond the typical marriage age for a girl of your position. He has perhaps even more connections than your father when it comes to alliances and he is a very good negotiator. He plans to try and arrange a match with someone you will also find pleasant which is why he has asked you to write him." Catelyn tried to speak softly to her daughter who becomes defensive whenever marriage is brought up.

"Why is it so necessary I be wed so soon when it is likely when the King arrives I will be offered the heir princes betrothal. I'd say his hand would be far more valuable than any Lords." Jale attempted to please her parents by bringing up the young Prince. She wanted nothing to do with this Baelish character and neither the Prince.  Joffrey was only fifteen, three years younger than Jale and it would be between her and Sansa to become the future queen.

"Me and your father have thought it best Sansa will except if a proposal is brought up. Both of us agreed you would not do well." Jale scowled at her mothers words which appeared double edged.

"What your mother means, is that we don't believe a pampered and spoiled prince would do you well." Ned comforted.

Jale paused, a silence over coming the room.

"I refuse. Tell this Lord Baelish to leave me be. His services are not needed. " Jale said as she turned to walk out the door.

She stopped when her father spoke to her.

"Jaleryd, I know you do not want this. But there will be no way in this world you will be able to live alone without husband or cause. Try and help yourself, for once my child, do not be stubborn." Ned sighed, a worry enveloping him.