Thirty-Five

Brynden Blackwood had been the subject of discussion at Sansa, Myrcella, and Jaleryd's lessons with the Septas.

"I hear Ser Blackwood is a poet. One of my maidens used to serve House Tully and had seen him many a time. They say his first wife, Lady Callene Mallister, was murdered by him. They wed when she was four and ten and he two and none. She was a mannish woman who stood six and three as he! Ser Brynden is said to be a lean man while his wife was thick and plump. They say they argued day in and day out. Lady Callene never came with child because Ser Blackwood refused to put his seed in her. They found her in her bed, her face slashed from ear to ear in a smile, and her throat nearly cut to the bone. They claim it to be an assassin sent from House Bracken, but everyone within Raventree Hall believed Ser Brynden committed the act." Princess Myrcella smiled as she finished.

Jale looked to Septa Mordane with a look of disbelief and concern. The Septa looked the the Princess before quickly recovering the princesses seemingly unintentional slander.

"That is only mere gossip my princess. It saddens me such hogwash has graced your precious ears. Ser Brynden is a noble and fine man. He was only a boy when his father served your father the king in the Great Rebellion, and ruled in his stead. He is wise and will take care of our Lady Stark valiantly." Septa Mordane smiled, laying her hand on Jales leg.

Brynden Blackwood was now traveling to Kings Landing to meet his bride along with her great uncle Blackfish, his true name (Brynden Tully) he shared with her betrothed.

"My uncle Blackfish was always very fond of house Blackwood. He wrote to my father that he and my grandfather approved of the match greatly. I will be seeing my Tully side of the family much more now which is a benefit of the arrangement."

The girls continued on with their lesson as they had any day when Lord Baelish arrived at the door.

Princess Myrcella ignored the Master of Coin while Sansa and Jale greeted him.

"Lady Stark, your father has told me of your engagement. Are you excited to unite with house Blackwood." The fox like man smiled.

Jale looked to Septa Mordane.

"Yes, Lord Baelish. I must thank you for your efforts."

He grinned quickly before looking to the Septa watching them.

"May I have a word with Lady Stark? I wish to inform her on some matters involving the Blackwoods."

With a nod from Septa Mordane, Jale followed the forbidden man into the halls of the Red Keep.

Jale felt pinged of guilt as she walked her arm in his. Guards walked by and there was a part of her that wanted to scream for them to take her away. She felt like she was betraying her father.

She could smell him. His dark smell which set her nose ablaze. Her heart began to flutter. She didn't understand as to why. She assumed it was from the adrenaline at the idea of her father catching her.

"Jale, today I need you to be strong. Not only for yourself but your sisters as well." Petyr stopped at the end of a hall, looking down at the image of young Catelyn.

She knitted her brow. Making his breath catch.

"Whatever do you mean my Lord?"

"The Red Keep will not be the same after the King returns from his hunting trip. I need you to protect yourself and your sisters in this battleground. Where we are going, i'm afraid your father will no longer be able to be your shield."