Thirty-Four

"The King is going for a hunting trip in a few days." Ned said as he walked alone with Jale in the palace gardens. She had asked to meet with him. It had taken him four days to find time to see her.

Jaime Lannister and her father had a quarrel is Fleabottom. Leaving Ned limping from the Lannisters impalement of his leg. Jory Cassel was dead along with most of the other Stark men. Sansa Arya and Jale had not been permitted to leave their chambers since.

"Father, I didn't call you here to talk about the King. You do that enough already." Jale rolled her eyes. Ned chuckled as he sighed.

"How are you? The King told us after the incident. Jaime Lannister should be hung for treason." Jale seethed as she looked to her fathers leg.

"I am fine. You girls need not worry about me. Just help me keep you all safe in this battle ground they call the capital." Ned held his daughters hand as they walked.

"The Queen summoned me a few days ago, rather urgently. I thought grandfather had died or perhaps a rebellion of some kind had broken out. But it turned out she had heard word that you intended to marry me the the little prince Tommen."

Ned quickly stopped in his tracks as he looked to his older daughter.

"I never meant it truly Jaleryd. I am not that cruel. I was talking with Lord Varys by the ports. He suggested I strengthen my ties to House Lannister by making you Lady of Casterly Rock. I declined the notion. I found it immoral and I don't have any interests in making my grandchildren Lannisters. Especially after this."

Jale had felt the rise in tension in the keep. The Lannisters and The Starks were never meant to share a den, and both sides had shown their fangs.

She wanted to go home to Winterfell. She missed the cold and kindness. Here it was only unfeeling warmth and betrayal. She had welcomed her fathers presence lovingly as he was her only reminder of home.

They spent the afternoon eating cakes by the sea. It had been some time since she had had this intimacy with her family. Her father worked day in and day out. Sansa only idoled Joffrey. And now Arya had her "dancing" lessons with the Bravossi.

"Jale what is your thoughts on Brynden Blackwood. I know he is of a lower house but I thought the match well. You remember him during your mothers birthday feast at Riverrun?"

Jale tried to recall the face. The Blackwoods were the only non-Northern family to workship the old Gods. They were a family of tall muscular men with black locks and dark brown eyes. They were known for their strong sense of pride which was easily wounded by the large mouths of the Brackens who often ended up dead at their hands.

"No but i'm sure he will be lovely." Jale wanted to make her fathers life easier, and if that meant marrying a Blackwood she would. Besides she had heard their men were known to be quite handsome.

"Jale, I don't mean to rush you but I think it best I send a raven and formally engage you. Tension are high and we have gained many more enemies since I became Hand. If the boy is to your distaste, I promise to call off the engagement."

And with that Jaleryd Stark was formally engaged to the heir of Raventree, the twenty eight year old Brynden Blackwood.