Nine

Onyx growled and pressed his forehead tightly against her own

Their breaths mingled as Demi stared up at him in shock. He hummed as their lips were a hair away, he felt as if he was huffing fumes on her essence.

Demi panted lightly, her mind going blank. Her shock was palpable as she was pinned against the wall.

"O-Onyx," She gasped. His tongue darted out to lick his own lips, slowly he pulled away. Onyx's head began pounding while he fought the bond.

Demi was so far in her daze that she didn't notice he gripped his hair in rage. Demi shrieked in fear as he roared, his claws extending.

Onyx snarled and swung his claws, Demi's eyes widened as he knocked over her vase.

It crashed to the ground but Onyx was too mad at himself and this stupid bond to care.

The Wolf released a thunderous growl, Demi fell to her knees at how powerful it was. Her ears rung painfully.

He saw his mate fall to the ground and only found himself growing angrier. He sneered before storming out.

Demi stared at her vase that'd been ruined, she looked up slowly. Around her, the thundering from his anger shook the ground so bad that it knocked over her other trinkets.

Demi's lip wobbled while she examined her ruined things. A quiet sob bubbled in her throat for the loss of her hard work as she hovered her hands over the broken pieces.

Within a couple minutes she sensed her father.

Her glazed eyes met Demetri's and he felt his heart break. His poor Demi sat on the ground in the ruins of her artwork. He quickly came to her aid, reaching to help her up.

"So many of them are broken," she cried.

"What happened?" Her father frowned as he looked upon Demi's workspace.

A good portion was ruined.

Demi leaned against his chest as she wiped her tears on his shirt. "Demi Everett, tell me this instant. This place reeks of that Wolf," Her father looked down at her sternly.

Demi shook her head quickly. This would end the alliance they had just celebrated forming, her father could hold grudges for eons.

Demetri grit his teeth, pressing his hand to her cheek to calm her.

"Demi you are my kin, my pup. You will not tolerate disrespect on your land. Alliance be dammed."

Demi began crying harder, she loved her father so much.

"Did he hurt you?" He suddenly asked, eyes alert and looking for injury.

"No," the young Witch whispered.

Demi peeked up at her dad, "He's my mate."

Demetri choked on his spit.

"He's what?" He practically gasped.

"I felt the bond but he didn't claim me or announce it. We've both been feeling it the past two days but he won't act on it. I believe it has to do with his Wolf- it brings him pain. A-And I can feel some sort of magic from him. It's music is slow and sad," she sighed as she slowly bent to clean up.

Her dad quickly began helping with she could practically hear the gears turning in his head.

"There's many legends surrounding this Onyx Wolf. Out of everyone to be mated to Demi..." he shook his head in disapproval.

"Yes well I suppose it's a good thing you aren't assigning soulmates then, hm?" She chided gently. "I don't know what happened. He came to apologize for being harsh at the training. I-I mean I don't understand why our relationship is d-different."

Demi's voice began to crack. "D-Do you think it's because of me?"

Demetri quickly turned to her, taking the shards away from her grasp. "That Wolf has many demons of his own to fight. He's lucky to have such a good thing given to him, even if I'm entirely against this. I'd never take you from your mate but heed my words pup, I will not make his life easy."

Her fathers eyes were darkening in anger, she knew her dad was pissed. He only calls her pup when his Lycan is present.

He suddenly inhaled deeply, "Let's get you to mom, yes? Some hot chocolate to fix what the idiot has done? And we can fill your mother in because she will have much better advice than me."

~

"Fuck that Wolf!" Elora screamed.

Demi was wrapped entirely in a blanket by her mother, her dad placing a steaming mug in her hands. He sat next to his pup as they both watched Elora pace around furiously.

"He's not claiming my perfect baby?! What the fucks wrong with him?! I mean does he have eyes, she's a Goddess for magics sake! Demetri we made some good looking kids-" The Lycan smirked. "- And never in my days did I think they'd ever have problems with their mates!"

"I know, my love."

"I mean you claimed me instantly! I accepted you almost immediately!"

Demi frowned at the reminder.

"I know, beautiful."

"There's something wrong with him!"

Demetri nodded dutifully, "You're completely right, honey."

Suddenly her mother turned to her, "Oh my sweet little witch!" Suddenly she was in her moms arms. Demi laid her head on her shoulder, keeping quiet through this entire thing.

It was only reminding her how abnormal it was for a Wolf to not further the Bond.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Her mom whispered.

"I wasn't sure if I was going crazy! Crazier. You know how I see things different sometimes- it's hard to tell. But as time went on I knew."

"Listen to me," Elora turned her head. "I'm sorry I've questioned your magic in the past. I should've never done that. But I never want you to not trust yourself. Go with your gut. Always."

Demi nodded with a heavy sigh, their foreheads rest against one another.

"I want to go to sleep now," she looked at both of her parents. They both bid her a slow good night, staring at her as if she was broken.

Demi felt better after talking to her parents. She loved them with all of her heart, but they did not boost her assurance in Onyx.

Not that they had any reason to.

Demi had teleported into her bed, what was she to make of all this?

Leave him alone? Let the Bond eat them both alive until the other caves? Pursue him and persistently get her feelings hurt?

Maybe she could find a way to provoke him.

Demi laid on her back with a groan. This wasn't supposed to be this hard.

She's grown up hearing of her parents love story. How they always held strong through their ears and enemies. Not once doubting the other and always deeply in love.

That's what she had expected if she was given a mate.

But she expected a lot of things when she was younger.

She expected not to be crazy. A single foot in one world and this second in another. Demi would never be normal, not with the thoughts plaguing her mind. Not with a mate that didn't want her.

Her breath hitched a little as she hiccuped. She blinked in surprise at the tears staining her pillows now, she ignored them as she slowly but surely fell asleep.