Eleven

Demi and Sylvester were both fawning over their many knives

Demi kept teleporting in more and more weapons gleefully. They'd retreated to the forrest outside the town, Demi's favorite place to explore.

"My two swords are enchanted- unbreakable steel."

Demi 'oohed' and 'ahed'. She showed him one of her mothers old daggers, informing him she used them in many of the Councils battles.

"You're trained in all of these?" Sylvester asked. She had small daggers, long swords, sai's, and even a whip in her growing arsenal.

"Mhm! Since I was a girl. Was one of the only things that made me feel normal in my family," she giggled.

Sylvester frowned however, he could sense Demi felt like an outsider wherever she went. In the past hour he'd had to gently gain her attention back many times. Demi confided in him that the forrest was full of life that spoke to her. And while it was distracting she'd never heard happier noise than from the forrest.

"Can I ask you a question?" Demi whispered shyly.

Sylvester nodded as he relaxed next to the Witch. They both sat on the ground, Demi toying with the green blades of grass.

"Why doesn't Onyx want me?"

Sylvester sighed loudly. "Alpha is a complicated man. He's expressed to us that he cares about you, or at least through his jealousy he has. He doesn't have a normal connection with his Wolf. It makes everything more difficult. He hasn't known enjoyment in a long time."

Demi nodded slowly at the information, "It's still no excuse. H-He got so mad the other day." She sniffled at the thought of her ruined things.

Sylvester saw her shaking and thought the worse. "He didn't hurt you, did he? He came back that night shaken up."

"N-No he just.. I have a space with my pottery and he got so upset. A good amount of it was ruined."

Sylvester's brow furrowed, did Onyx remember this?

Suddenly Demi sat up straighter. He watched her brows furrow in suspicion. He too rose at her sudden change in demeanor.

A thwip rang through the still air, Demi released a cry. An arrow sunk into her shoulder grotesquely, she snarled at the pain.

Sylvester quickly shielded her, gripping his swords and swatting another arrow aimed at him. Demi warped a knife into her good hand, flinching suddenly.

"I can't teleport!" She cried out. Around them, men began to file in around them.

They were being surrounded while a scratchy voice piped up, "You like that? Coated the tip of that arrow specifically for you, pretty thing."

Demi's eyes were blazing as she turned her back to press against Sylvester's much broader one.

Her dress was soaked in blood as she leaned against him. He bore her weight when she suddenly threw the knife, sinking it into a human soldiers eye.