Forty Four

Demi was curled around Onyx's cold body

Demi was curled around Onyx's cold body. His warmth had left him a while ago, the magic sucking almost all of the life out of him.

It'd been weeks. She thought back to when she'd returned to her mate.

Demi held Onyx's fist in her own hand, pressing it to her cheek. She was sat beside her bed that he laid in.

Her mother took a deep breath as she continued talking. "Onyx... he's not looking good but he's not dead yet. Knox said you used your magic when you got there- it probably kept him alive long enough for you to get here. I kept his heart beating, I got the bad magic out but the way this type works is it attacks upon contact. What I did after wasn't much."

She wiped her hands on a dirty rag, "What I don't understand though is why he didn't die immediately. Your magic kept him alive until he got here but why wasn't he killed there? It's not because he's an Alpha."

Demi didn't respond. She hasn't spoken to anyone other than the unconscious Onyx.

"Griffin," she whispered against his shoulder. "I need you back now please," she asked with a wobbly lip. She held her breath as she tried not to cry again. Demi dressed Onyx in sweats while bundling up next to him. She wore sweatpants and his sweatshirt.

"Ezra and his mate are doing good, her name is Imani. Shes scared but adjusting. She's really pretty, and she's good for him. She's a witch that works with earth, manipulating nature and stuff," she trailed his fingers over his collarbone.

They'd used magic medicine to keep him hydrated and healthy-ish.

Demi had begun noticing how his cursed markings were shrinking over the passing days. It was alarming, she didn't know what it meant and called her mother in.

Elora began doing some research.

A knock caught her attention, her father held a tray of food as he entered.

Demi glanced at him with a tired smile. She looked rough, dark circles and paleness showing just how much she was going through. The music of Onyx's curse was growing quieter, the lack of noise was driving her insane.

Demetrius sat down on the end of the bed, placing the tray over her lap and urging her to sit up.

She maneuvered the unconscious man's arm over her thighs, reluctantly grabbing the food.

"Thank you," Demi sniffled. Her father nodded with a gentle grin, he looked at Onyx.

He was back to his normal paleness, he looked a lot better. Like he wasn't practically in a coma and as if he could wake up any moment.

Demi pushed at her eggs as the two sat in silence.

"He'd be upset with you not taking care of yourself."

"I'm upset with him for almost dying."

Her dad sucked in a breath but nodded because he couldn't blame her.