Thirty Eight

Onyx swung his axe above his head, grunting as he split a log in two

Jude trailed up behind him, examining the black markings covering his upper bodies. He was shirtless, sweatpants hanging from his hips.

Onyx glanced over his broad shoulder, furrowing his brow.

"The hell are you going here so early?" Onyx growled. His mate was sleeping, the window of their bedroom in his eyesight. The new territory was putting him on edge. The sun was just beginning to rise.

"Pack members are unsettled with your popping in. At least the ones that are old enough to remember what happened."

Onyx gave him an odd look, "I could've told you that."

"I remembered you're usually up at the crack of dawn. Even as pups, figured I'd give you a fair warning before the meeting later today."

Onyx nodded at Jude's gesture. "They got a lot bigger... since they started appearing," he nodded towards the black markings.

"Yeah, they grew as I did. They've stopped now," he answered awkwardly. His eyes caught sight of Doctor Finley. The damn cat came in and out as they pleased through the kitchen window. Demi had seen this and insisted keeping it open as a flowerbed was beneath it.

The cat rubbed against his legs.

"That damn thing had been staying in this house?" Jude scoffed. "It's a vagrant on the lands."

Onyx grunted, "My mates taken a liking."

"Let us know if you want it gone."

"They're fine," he narrowed his eyes. Didn't he just say his mate liked them?

An awkward beat of silence fell upon them, Jude threw his thumb over his shoulder. "I'll see you at the meeting hall later... it's nice to see you doing well Onyx. I mean that."

Onyx looked at his childhood friend, nodding at him reluctantly. When he was out of sight, Onyx felt more comfortable and gripped the firewood he'd collected.

The cat trailed behind him as he went inside to strengthen the fire. He needed to make sure Demi was warm as she adjusted to the drastic change in temperature.

He rolled his shoulders tiredly, the cat trailing off to food Demi left out. Onyx didn't waste any time stripping himself of his pants to slide back in next to Demi.

She hummed as his warmth surrounded her, her eyes fluttering a little.

"Where'd you go?" she croaked tiredly.

"Firewood," he mumbled into her neck.

Demi frowned with her eyes closed, turning around to bury her face in his chest. "How do you feel being back here?" Her voice was barely above a whisper.