Prologue: Sparda's Legacy Origins Pt.2

Narrator's POV:

(Spoiler Alert! This is for those who are new to the Devil May Cry series. Play or watch and experience the story.)

Many years ago, there was a demon know as Sparda, a mighty demon swordsman who is known as the Legendary Dark Knight. A former right handed General to the King of the Underworld, Mundus the Prince of Darkness.

Two thousand years prior to modern times, he "woke up to justice" and defeated Mundus and his legions alone. When sealing the netherworld, sensing his power had grown too strong, he intentionally sealed himself and his own demonic power in as well. But that didn't stop him to become the fearless warrior, and keep on fighting for his ideals and beliefs.

Sparda would continue to influence the human world with his presence, such as when he reigned as Feudal Lord of Fortuna and before his disappearance, he later married a human woman known as Eva.

Sparda who saved her life, she was eternally grateful of his heroic actions.. Eva wasn't paralyzed by fear of her savior's appearance, she was still grateful for saving her. First time for Sparda, he felt something inside of his body that some humans feel; the answer is Love. Which leads Eva was giving birth to his twin sons, Dante and Vergil Sparda.

Although not much is known about him on a personal level, it is said that his personality combined both Dante's rebellious nature and Vergil's levelheadedness. Legends speak fondly of his courage, righteousness and his thankless missions to protect the human world at the expense of being labeled as a traitor by all of his kind. Sparda's wife, Eva, always described him as being a noble fighter with courage and a righteous heart.

Sparda understood honor and possessed great wisdom. Sparda had two apprentices, Baul and Modeus, though he only entrusted his true strength and power to the kind-hearted Modeus as opposed to his colder brother Baul. Not long before his rebellion, he swore an oath with his students to live true to their aspirations.

Prior to his rebellion, Sparda was the most powerful demon swordsman and the right-hand man for Dark Emperor Mundus. During this time, he was the mentor of the twin brothers Baul and Modeus, and he entrusted his teachings to Modeus. At some point, he saw the tyranny and injustice of the Dark Emperor and rebelled, fighting to save humanity. Before his rebellion, he made a pact with his students to live true to their aspirations and to carry them out.

He alone defeated the hellish host, before moving on to the Emperor of Darkness himself. Sparda defeated Mundus, sealing him into a marble vault, and what was left of Mundus's armies retreated back into the demon world. In order to close the gateway, Sparda used his own blood, along with the blood of a human priestess (Lady's ancestor), in conjunction with his sword and a mystical amulet. He poured his demonic energy into his beloved sword to close the door between realms, the Temen-ni-gru, though this also robbed him of the lion's share of his abilities. As an added measure, he also imprisoned within the tower its gatekeepers - Cerberus, Agni & Rudra, Nevan, Beowulf and Leviathan - and took the names of the Seven Sins in order to imprison them and set them as seals keeping the Temen-ni-gru underground.

Sparda is known to have used both Yamato and Sparda. The former he used as a key to lock the Demon World away from the Human World, and he sealed the power of the latter with the Perfect Amulet, turning it into the Force Edge.

After 2000 years, the seal on the underworld began to weaken. The Demon Emperor Mundus sent his minions after Sparda's wife and twin sons in an act of revenge.

Sparda's human wife, Eva, stood no chance against the demons and lost her life. One of Sparda's sons, Vergil, went missing.

The only survivor was Dante, Vergil's twin brother.