12 - Portals

It had been a week since Cassie had started to go to school and train with Mordo. Her first week in Kamar-Taj she had mostly been spent in the library. Mordo said that an important part of becoming a sorcerer was knowing the history, the reason why they exist in the first place. Cassie liked that he made her read all of history, it was like she was continuing to pass on culture.

    It was only one meeting ago did they finally start to try some magic. He had given her a sling ring, which Cassie was over the moon about going on about how it was like holding a prop from the movies. Mordo told her to bring it home and try to feel its energy. It isn't until you can become connected with the ring that you can use its abilities.

    "Are you ready to try to make a portal?" Mordo asked her.

    "Yes!" Cassie explained. "You don't know how long I have been waiting for this-"

    "Less talking," he interrupted her. "Put your hands out like this." Cassie copied his pose, one she knew well from the Doctor Strange movie. "Take a deep breath and start to move your hands like this." He began to move in a circular form. "Focus on a place, make it clear in your mind." She watched as a portal opened in front of Mordo, a beach with its waves crashing appeared on the other side.

    "Woah," Cassie said in amazement.

    "Your turn."

    She put out her hands, copying the circular motion that he did. She focused hard, thinking of a place she could see so clearly in her mind. Nothing appeared in front of her, not even a tiny spark. Cassie put her hands down and sighed. "Not even a little bit close..."

    "Where were you thinking of? It is best to focus on a place you know well when trying to make a portal for the first time."

    "My home. I've lived in it for almost my entire life it's so clear in my mind I don't understand."

    Mordo scratched his chin thinking. She had been doing the moves perfectly, she had learned about the history of sorcerers to a tea.... he couldn't figure out what was wrong. That's when it hit him. "Your home... is that on your earth or this one?"

    "Mine. Earth-616."

    "Try a place in this world. That's why you're here, isn't it? To find your way back home?     She nodded closing her eyes momentarily to refocus herself. "Think of a place here. One that you have spent a lot of time in...."

    She started to move her fingers again, circling the air with extreme focus. Orange sparks began to appear slowly, a circle forming in front of her. It grew wider and wider until she could see something inside. Her room at the compound stood clear as day. She put her hands down, still focusing on the portal.

    "Holy shit I did it!" she exclaimed. This was the coolest moment of her life, Cassie decided. Performing real magic, starting to become a sorcerer; all her marvel dreams were coming true.

    She felt a hand pat her on the back. "Well done young padawan..." Cassie shot a look towards Mordo in surprise. "What? We have Star Wars in Kamar-Taj." They both gave out a laugh as the portal disappeared. "I want you to focus on making portals. Make tiny ones throughout your day - never in public of course. Next time I see you it should be as easy as blinking.

    "Believe me, making portals is all I will be doing for the next week."

    He motioned towards the air again, giving her a smirk. "I trust you don't need Wong anymore to find your way back home."

    She returned the smile before lifting her hands once more, thinking of her room at the compound. Slowly, the circle began to open again until it was wide enough to pass through.     She walked into the circle until she was standing in her room, still amazed at her newfound powers. She turned back to Mordo on the other side of the portal. "I'll see you next week." He gave a nod as she wiped her hands one more time, closing the portal.