26 - The Fight

The school days all started to blend. The school year was almost over and classes were so boring Cassie found herself barely paying attention. She had a class with Liz but they were excused to do some stuff for homecoming coming up. After weeks and weeks of Liz begging Cassie for help, she finally caved in.

They passed through a hallway lined with trophies and discolored tile floors. It was empty, which was normal for this time of day. It was right after lunch so students opted to stay in their classrooms, too tired and stuffed to make up some lame excuse for a break.

Liz said, "I just think that if we put up more flyers we could get the funding we needed!"

"Liz, homecoming is like next week I think it's too late to petition for a chocolate fountain," said told her. The two girls laughed as they walked through the hall before looking up to see they were not alone. "Peter."

Peter stood in front of them holding a giant bathroom pass that couldn't be missed. She turned her head slightly, wondering what would happen next. They hadn't spoken since the whole her becoming an Avenger and getting his suit taken away fiasco; she couldn't tell if he was still mad at her.

Swinging his feet back and forth, Peter hesitantly spoke up. "H-hey Cassie, Liz."

"Hey, Peter!" Liz said excitedly, not knowing how awkward this situation was for her friends. "Great job in DC you really helped us win back there!"

"I-it was no problem..."

Cassie watched as Liz went on to boost up Peter who had a small smile creeping through, however she knew he would never fully budge. Something was very familiar about watching them talk. She glanced around the room slightly before turning back to them, and that's when it hit her. Shit, she said to herself. This is the scene where he asks Liz to Homecoming...

She hoped that it wouldn't come to that. Way back when they were trapped in the facility in Maryland, Peter had told her that his crush on her went away. But here, watching him smile as Liz tried to boost his confidence, she wasn't too sure...

"We gotta get back to the committee," Liz said, turning to look at Cassie who was still awkwardly staring at Peter.

He looked back at her too before registering what Liz has said. "Right, yeah... I'll leave you two then..."

He hesitantly waved, walking past the two girls. Liz started to move forward but Cassie felt frozen. So many thoughts were running through her mind. Peter didn't ask Liz to come which she had no idea how to feel about, but more importantly, he still looked angry and her. Cassie didn't want to leave their friends that way.

Quickly, without thinking, she pivoted to face him. "Peter wait!" she called out. He stopped in his track and turned around anxiously. She gave one last look back over her shoulder to see Liz was still walking away. Turning back, she said, "I'm sorry about how everything went down. I know Tony took your suit..."

Peter stared blankly back at her, clearly not wanting to have a conversation with her. Still, he spoke, "Yeah well, that's what was gonna happen right? You would become an Avenger and I would lose the only thing I cared about."

"Peter-"

"How is this fair?" he interrupted her. "You aren't even from this Earth, hell this reality, and still Mr. Stark trusts you more than me. I'm the one that fought in Germany, I'm the one that has had powers for longer yet, I'm still not good enough."

"Don't say that. You are more of a superhero than I'll ever be," she tried to defend him.

"Then why are you a part of the team and I got my suit taken away?" He scoffed. "I should get going..." He continued before quickly turning back and speed walking away.