29 - New Beginnings

"Okay, let's work on the Images of Ikonn, duplicating yourself to confuse your enemy," Stephen said to Cassie.

She nodded, swaying back and forth on the concrete below her. Kamar-Taj was always her favorite place to train with Stephen. It overlooked the city below them, the sun starting to rise, creating an orange hue that glowed over the courtyard.

"Really? You don't think I'm too young to learn it? It's a pretty advanced spell."

Stephen smirked. "I think you can handle it." Cassie felt herself become overjoyed. She really wanted to learn this spell, it's one of the ones that helped Dr. Strange almost beat Thanos. "Okay let's go over the hand motions slowly. Copy me okay."

Nodding, Stephen launched straight into the spell. He crossed his hands in front of his chest, Cassie doing the same. Every move he made, she copied perfectly. For hours she practiced the hand movements, slowly and patiently. When she first arrived at Kamar-Taj, the Ancient One told her that patience was the key to becoming a sorcerer. Nothing happened quickly so if you took your time, learning things at a steady pace, you could succeed.

And that's what she did, follow Stephen's moves in a patient manner. They had been up since the crack of dawn, practicing to create muscle memory. She yawned as they went through the motions again; even exhausted her moves were precise.

Stephen turned around to face her. "I think you've got it. Let's start off easy. Try making one duplicate of yourself."

She nodded, placing her hands back in the starting position. Putting all the moves together she swiftly pulled her hands apart, flexing her fingers. She brought her hands up, changing the position of her fingers before slamming her arms down to the ground. A figure flickered next to her.

"Almost. You need to concentrate. Focus on the actions you are doing, not the end result."

"Okay, yeah," she said, more trying to convince herself rather than him.

Bringing up hands back the starting position, she began again. This time she focused on her hands and how they felt moving through the crisp morning air. With more force than before, she slammed her hands downward. A smoke-like figure flew from next to her, becoming more solid until she saw herself standing before her. Cassie widened her eyes at the double before her. She lifted her hand, the double did the same.

"Very good!" Stephen exclaimed. He clapped for her and the achievement she made. "It's a small step but an important one. Next time we'll try to multiply more."

Cassie smiled, pulling her phone out of her back pocket. "Shit I gotta get going," she said."Thank you so much!"

Stephen lifted a hand in protest. "It's what I'm here for. Though, once you learn this spell, I don't know if I have anything left to teach you. Anything that you can't learn yourself."

"Does that mean after I master this we're done? I can't come train with you?" She asked. She felt relieved but some part of her was going to miss these early morning training sessions with Strange. They had really bonded over the course of the year.

"You can still come and train, it's just not mandatory anymore. Come when you can, or don't, it's up to you."

"Of course, I still want to train!" She walked forward, engulfing him in a hug. "I still want to see my friend."

━─━─━━─━「₪」━━─━─━─━

When Cassie walked into the kitchen to grab a banana on her way to school, she had expected to be alone. Upon entering, she could see Happy sitting at the island. He looked up when she came in.