16 - Liz's Party

Cassie finally decided on a white blouse and jeans. It was the afternoon before Liz's party and she wanted to make sure she looked her best. She knew that, because of Peter, she wouldn't be at the party for long but still, she wanted to look presentable.

    "You look beautiful," she heard from the door, it was Tony.

    She let out a groan. "Oh my god, you are so becoming a dad!"

    Tony fake wept, wiping a fake tear from his eye. "My little girl is all grown up!"

    She rolled her eyes. "What are you still doing here I thought you left for India this morning?"

    "I'm leaving now, just thought I'd say goodbye."

    "Oh, well, have fun!"

    "Ah, yes, back-to-back meetings will be so entertaining."

    She giggled as she left her room. She turned back to the mirror and straighten her blouse. Tonight was going to be a lot.

    Cassie stepped through the portal she made down the street from Liz's house. She lived in a suburb, a little farther away than most kids that went to Midtown did but it didn't matter. She kept out of the darkness into the light of the streetlamp, hearing the sounds of music and teens in the distance. She knew her house was only a block away so she began to walk.

    Cassie had to admit, traveling by portal was way more fun than driving a car. It gave her more time to get ready, she didn't have to worry about being late and she would never get stuck in traffic again; it was amazing. As she approached the party, Liz's house came into view. It was a nice house. She was used to seeing bigger houses from living in California in her world but for a small suburb in New York like this, she wasn't expecting it.

    As she walked up the driveway, she saw people drinking on the lawn, the front door left open for people to circulate in and out. A couple of people called out to her and waved a hello. She was pleased to see that people from her classes were welcoming to her, despite the fact she had barely interacted with them. She walked through the front door and was greeted by the booming music and smell of alcohol.

    She saw Flash at the DJ booth in the living room, attempting his "creative craft" as she heard him put it in gym. The staircase was closed off, which was probably a smart move, but that didn't stop people from making out on the steps.

    "Cassie!" She turned to see Liz with two solo cups walking towards her with open arms.  She smiled at her friend and she brought her in for a hug. "I'm so glad you made it! Here, take this!"

    She handed Cassie a cup. "What's in this?" she asked her friend.

    "Just beer! The good stuff is in the kitchen," Liz told her with a smirk.

    Cassie let out a laugh. "This looks like a really good time Liz, you've outdone yourself."

    Liz gave a mocking bow. "Why thank you."    From the other room, they heard an awful transition into another song, one that didn't have the same tempo or feel. They saw Flash with his headphones, feeling the music like he was a creative genius. The two girls laughed. "He thought he just did something didn't he?"

    "How did he get to be in charge of the DJ booth?" Cassie asked her.

    She shrugged. "I have no idea. All I know is that he's not gonna leave it until the night's over." Over Cassie's shoulder, Liz spotted someone. "Oh my gosh!"

    She walked past her, causing Cassie to turn around. Peter and Ned were walking towards them, Ned wearing the hat she knew he liked so much. "Cool hat, Ned," Liz complimented him.